The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Opelika Tom), 115 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Finally got my 61 c10 running over the thanksgiving weekend, only to find out that the alternator is bad. Since I am not trying to keep this thing stock I have heard that I should move to a one wire alternator. Has anyone done this and is it something that somenewguy could do? Thanks for all the help.


1961 Apache 10. First restoration
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The upgrade to a one-wire alternator is the easiest alternator-upgrade. Do you need a lead to an indicator ("idiot") light?

Many people prefer a multi-wire alternator, for a variety of reasons. I have used a 12v 1-wire alternator with no problems on a 1954 truck since 1997.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
I need all the help I can get. I have been called an idiot before and I have never done this kind of work so an idiot light may not hurt. The altermator I pulled off has about six wires coming from it. Three in a harness, one that looks like a hot lead and then several more that don't go anywhere. (I think the previous owner knew about as much as I did about working on trucks.) I want to clean this thing up as much as possible.


1961 Apache 10. First restoration

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0