The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (66flea, 3800GUY, KDrown, Nick in Manitou, Frank50), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
I'm at the reassembly stage with the rear doors. When I took this all apart 5 years ago, there was an old weatherstripping piece attached to the lower inside edge of the top liftgate where it would rest against the top outside surface of the lower tailgate. I don't know if it was factory applied or added by a previous owner to cut down on rattling. I have a reprint of suburban-specific factory parts and I see no mention of rear clamshell weatherstripping nor can I find any for sale from the aftermarket parts dealers. But it seems as if this area will leak air and wind-driven water like crazy! It also seems like any weatherstrip added to the lower tailgate wouldn't last very long in real world use. Maybe in 1948, Chevy wasn't worried about air and water infiltration through the rear doors. Has anyone else added additional weatherstripping and if so, how? Thanks, Dave


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
Pine tree I am in same stage as you on my 49 burb w clamshell. It has no weatherstripping. I am just getting it back on the road and it rattles like he//. I think my issue may be upper hinges. Can someone please post pictures and comments on how to correctly fix the problem? Thanks.


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
I am planning on using the same weatherstripping that I used on the doors for the rear. When I bought the burb, it looks similar to that stuff when I pulled it off, plus it seems to be a decent fit.


Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
I did some additional digging in the GM replacement parts archive and found that there was replacement weatherstrip sold in a 60' roll. Armed with the awareness that weatherstrip was indeed called for, I improvised my way through sealing all the way around the upper end gate and the side and lower edges of the lower end gate. I used some leftover higher-profile weatherstrip that the previous owner of my burb had mistakenly bought for the front doors. In one area, I cut and sanded off a part of the weatherstrip profile that was too high. In another case, I glued the weatherstrip on upside down. Whatever it took to get a profile to suit the need at hand. The whole area has a nice, snug feel to it when both gates are closed now. It looks pretty decent too. Also, I made some replacement rubber bumpers for the sides of both gates as the originals were shot. I also elongated the mounting holes on both endgates where they attach to their respective hinges to give some vertical or lateral movement to suck up some of the slack or minimize binding. Everything is a compromise between the ideal and the real. Dave


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0