Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,487 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 71 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 71 | Okay... we have installed several windows (windshields, door glass, wing windows and the like) before...but this rear window is going to cause marriage counseling!! Cannot figure out why this thing will not go in. We already have had it pop out one way causing me to push it back through opening very briskly towards my husband, who in turn could not grab it time and it fell to floor but did not break! I don't think we will be so lucky next time. We have examined the opening and decided there were a few places in which it needed a little straightening and still this window refuses to go in like it should. We have compared the seal, the glass and the opening and everything matches. I am at a loss - maybe there is a technique that would work better than the way we are doing it? Some secret tool or something - I don't know. If anyone has anything to share please do and you may very well save a man from being pulverized by his wife! The truck we are working on is a 53 3 ton I forgot to add. Thanks so much.
1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 4x4 OVRTRQD Buick GNX #276 "If it died... we can fix it" | "If your not outraged, you're not paying attention." | "Do you know a large group of baboons is called a Congress? That explains a lot." ~author unwn
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 71 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 71 | Well I am not really going to kill him but we are at a loss as to why this window is so difficult. Any thoughts?
1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 4x4 OVRTRQD Buick GNX #276 "If it died... we can fix it" | "If your not outraged, you're not paying attention." | "Do you know a large group of baboons is called a Congress? That explains a lot." ~author unwn
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Funny story, but I'm sure you don't see it that way.
I'm sure the back window of a 3 ton is the same one on my 1/2 ton. I managed to put mine in by first using lots of liquid soap. Assuming you've already put in the rubber seal around the window opening, you'll need to pull it back on the bottom and slide the glass in. Then with a flat tool like a thin blade screwdriver pull the rubber away from the edge of the glass as you push it in on the sides. The top corners were the hardest for me but I just took my time and pushed with my thumb and pulled away the rubber at the point I was pushing. It should go as you work it in at the top. Patience was the thing I had to learn. It's just a piece of flat glass, so it really shouldn't be as hard as you describe. I'm beginning to wonder if the hole is out of round and that's what's causing your problems. Make sure you go back and straighten it as good as possible if it's bent.
Good luck.
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Spot's right on the money,but I would steer away from using metal tools. There are plastic or wood sticks available,we call them dibbers here,although I'm not sure what the American name for them would be...... Does this help?
Last edited by jockbolter50; 12/02/2011 8:25 AM. Reason: grammar
1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | John, EXCELLENT photos of your rear window install!! That should help OVRTROD with her install. Sometimes seeing how it's done is better than reading instructions.
Both you and tclederman make a good point.......use a plastic or wooden tool. I got away with the narrow flat blade screwdriver because I reused the old rubber seal when I put in the new glass. It was "stretched" a bit, so it didn't push the rubber against the window really tight and allowed the screwdriver to move pretty freely. No chips in my glass using it. OVRTROD, you should follow their advice and use a hard plastic tool. Much safer.
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | I used the flat screw drive up to the point when it slipped and I gouged the paint about 3 inches. That was the only cussing I did putting in the window. My wife provided me a large plastic crochet hook after that and it worked really well. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | I have installed widshields before using the soapy string trick. Don't know if this will work for you, but link is below. Trick is to put the gasket around the glass, then put a soapy string in the body channel groove of the gasket, have someone gently push on the glass as you pull the string around the gasket from the inside. As you pull the string, the lip of the gasket will be pulled over the body flange. Have a piece of plastic available to help. Hope this works for you.. Kurt Soapy string trick | | |
| |