Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (TUTS 59, Jay R, papas52, Otto Skorzeny, JW51, Gdads51, cmayna),
90
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,084 Posts1,056,333 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 | What is the proper length for the accelerator rod on a 54 chev 235 equipped with a Rochester B carb with insulator and gasket(s), and Hydramatic? I would like to install the insulator, but it easy to see that my accelerator rod will then be too short.
Disciple
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | Ted, The length of the rod should be whatever is required to provide the actuation that you require and possibly a PO shortened it in the belief he did not need the insulator or maybe the bellcrank has been swapped from a slightly different style. No matter the rod is ¼” diameter and you can gain length and adjustability by cutting it, running a die on it, and adding a coupling nut like this. If the ends are worn you can chop them off, run a die over the end and use a couple of these which is my personal preference. Good luck.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Ted,
As you most likely know, the 54 Hydra-Matic rod is different from the rod used on manual transmission engines. This rod also has a special clip to "lock" it to the arm on the carburetor. Maybe someone will post a photo. I am away from my trucks until Tuesday, but, if no one posts any photos, I'll try to remember to post some when I get home.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 | Curt and Tim, thanks for the information. Tim, I am not sure if I have the special clip you are speaking of. I will have to look in the morning.
Disciple
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 | Tim, my accelerator rod is connected at each end with a cotter key. Not sure what the special clip to lock is. Sounds like I may have the wrong stuff.
Disciple
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | her is the top of the 54e Chevy hydra-matic linkage. As you can see, it is adjustable and should have plenty of room for your carb spacer. I have seen the clip advertised on ebay but have never seen one in place. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2931234410047579877nQtDAT | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 | Greg, my linkage does look somewhat different. It is not adjustable at all. It is the rod with a 90 degree turn on each end with a hole big enough for the cotter key to be attached to the throttle on the carb. and the linkage from the transmission. Looks like I may have to do what Curt recommended above in order to make what I currently have adjustable.
Disciple
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 32 | After I get my Offy dual intake installed, I may end up in the same situation but I figure that rod shouldn't be too hard to remake in the correct length. Be sure and post what you end up doing cause I may need it hahahahaha ! BTW, mine is held to the carb and bell crank with cotter pins also but it's a Jimmy with a 235 so it's not a stock application.
"when I grow up - please go ahead and dig my grave!"
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Ted, The 1954 1/2 ton Hydra-Matic throttle up-rod has multiple bends and is completely different from the manual transmission trucks' rod. The foot-pedal throttle rod also looks to be different. What parts do you have? Here are some quickly-taken photos of the rod assembly for the throttle (and one rod to the transmission). There is another shift-rod assembly for the H-D gear shifting. http://1954advance-design.com/Web%20images/H-M-throttle-rod/ | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 101 | Tim, my accelerator rod must be from a manual transmission. Mine doesn't have any of those bends or the clip, or the adjustable end. The rod I am talking about is the rod that rises up and attaches to the throttle arm on the carb. The other two pieces look identical to what I have coming forward from my transmission. All of this started when I decided to install the insulator between the manifold and carburetor. Now I am thinking that finding a correct rod will be nearly impossible, and maybe I'll just leave things as they are. I'll keep looking and see what turns up. Thanks ever so much for taking the photos and sending them to me. At least now I know what I am looking for.
Disciple
| | |
| |