Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
129
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 | So I have 16.5 rims on my truck. It came with two original 15 inch split rims. But I have four matching 16.5's
I use to buy these for my 77 Dodge van from Sears back in 1994. Was that a long time ago??? DANG!!! Nobody sells them????
Does anyone have a line on any? I've read the old posts but they were from as far back as 2007. Any help, or a solution to my problem would be great. I was going to look for two more split rims to get my beast back to stock. But the man was talking to today said he doesn't know of anyone that will mount a tire on them. Is that true?? Yikes! What are my options??
Last edited by 1946GMCDAN; 11/20/2011 1:26 AM.
Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | I dunno about 16.5", but a real tire shop will mount on split rims, as long as they aren't the dreaded variety. If you have a big rig shop near by, they should be able to tell you/ help you. Real tire shops have cages in them for inflating split rims.
My preference in your situation (its easy to spend someone else's money) would be to get two more stock wheels if you can find them. They look super cool with the narrow tall tires on them. The steering is also "lighter" with the narrow tires.
Maybe you could post a wanted ad on the old bolt here. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 | Thats a good idea. I found four radials not very far from my house that are 8.75 R16.5LT Will that work? Can I use radial tires? They are only 275 for 5 of them. And they look new.
please tell me I can use the safely
Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Those should be fine. You'll want to check the date codes on them. If they're any more than maybe 3-4 years old, you may want to reconsider, especially if the truck is going to be a daily driver.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 | Thanks. They have to be better than having three different size tires on your rig like I do now. The fronts are old snow tires from the 60's. I can't even begin to imagine my steering with 4 matching tires.
Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | Man, I think I'd snap up those use tires if they are in good condition. I'm so cheap, I've got used tires on my panel right now, they are only 65% aspect ratio, instead of 75%, the truck sure is geared low! But, they all match, and that sure is nicer.
Once you have tires, and are driving, then there isn't a panic to find the other rims and such. No panic, is better. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 | No panic is better!! I like that. Wednesday the tires are mine. I may go out today and seal the deal. Save 800 dollars in the short term.
I'll look for two more 15's in the long term.
Whoo Hoo! I also found two replacement tie-rod ends with tapered studs. 72 bucks shipped. I can take my time learning to rebuild the old ones. No panic is better!
Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 | Woo Hoo! Went and got those 16.5 LT's and put them on the 46. All is well. I now can wait till I have serious money to put into wheels and tires. These have 40 thousand pluss miles left on them. For 380 dollar total, 5 tires. Whew!
The 50 dollar alternator was nice also.
Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 15 | my 2 cents: i worked several years at a 'real' tire shop and i won't mount those 1 piece split rims. cage will contain them but I had an old pro tell me they had one that sat over a week mounted and waiting for the customer to come and get. He rolled it over a curb to load in back of his pick-up and it blew apart-the ring taking 1/2 of his head with it. I cut all these d4#" things I get a hold of into pieces with the torch. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | So what was the date code on those tires? I have been searching for new and can't find them either. The set of radials on my truck are ten years old but they have no evidence of age damage showing, they still make me real nervous though. Not to mention the fact that I have no matching spare. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 | So what should I do to have period correct rims??
Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 141 | I didn't even look at the date codes. They still have the rubber nibs on them. They look like new tires.
If you need 16.5 radials look for them as van tires on craigslist. Thats how I found mine.
It really makes my truck drive better.
Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
| | |
| |