| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,613 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 | Hey Guys.
I'm taking the Blue Funk apart and have removed all the sheet metal. I'm down to the cab. I've drained the gas tank and am wondering about the stopcock. Does that stopcock screw off of the tube that descesnds fom the tank?
I've read past posts on gas tank removal but don't seem to remember any specifics about stopcock removal.
Your input is appreciated.
Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 255 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 255 | Not sure about 51 - but my 38 is 1/8 npt. Screwed right off. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | On my '38 coupe the petcock and nipple are one piece. Like tcox says I don't know if the '51 would even be similar. Petcock
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Dave, my brass stopcock was a two piece affair. The brass tube unscrewed from the tank complete with the valve. I then managed to separate the tube from the main valve body.
It was pretty gummed up but did come apart eventually after soaking it in fresh gas for a couple of hours. Mine is from a '50 but I'm assuming yours will be the same. 1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 | Thanks for the replies.
The stopcock on the Blue Funk looks a little different from yours, Tiny. It has a relatively long tube descending from the tank. On the bottom of the stopcock is a 6-sided 1/2 inch bolt head. The control is on the left and the line goes off to the right to the carb.
I'll play around with it and let you know what I find.
Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | that is just a valve on the bottom of a short 1/8" (1/4") NPT nipple, it just unscrews. The nut is actually a plug and drains the tank if you take it out | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | here is another type ...pic... ...pic... as others have posted, pipe thread Good Luck | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 |
Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/14/2011 6:47 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 419 | On the bottom of the stopcock is a 6-sided 1/2 inch bolt head. Actually it was a 7/16 head. I stuck a socket on it and the gas cock turned right off. The gas tank was the last thing I had to remove before removing the cab. Save for removing the right running board, which a PO had welded onto one of the supports, all the sheet metal has been removed from the Blue Funk's frame. Thanks for all the pics and info. | | |
| |
| |