The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, J Lucas, dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Charles in CA, LAROKE), 132 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#797357 11/13/2011 12:56 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Putting together a 52 half ton. I have the front yoke from the propeller shaft off the truck. The joint moves from side to side in the yoke about 3/8 ". The bearings seem solid...no wobble there. Should the u-joint move that far side to side?

Last edited by ADspudnut; 11/13/2011 1:07 AM.
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 71
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 71
That sounds about right.....there is a fair amount of axial play designed into the u-joint. Check for radial play and elongated caps! Also pay close attention that the propeller shaft has adequate room.....I have seen incorrect differential rebuilds that cause the shaft to contact the u-joint !!!

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 71
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 71
A little fuzzy on my already fuzzy eyes ???!!! They dont look bad at all....I reused mine and they looked about the same condition. Did you originally take it apart for vibration or just a leak???

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Long story...the short of it is that it was disassembled by a guy building a rat rod....I picked up the stock drivetrain for a 52 cab I rescued from a sheep farm so I'm rebuilding frame up, checking each piece as I go.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
That's a nice jimmy. Is it a 51?


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0