The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Millenimech, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#796415 11/09/2011 12:47 PM
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
Hi everyone,
I have a 1961 suburban that will need body mounts this winter. I assume the cab area is the same as a pickup cab. But the rear is a puzzler. I thought it would be similar to the bed mounts of a pickup. The few parts shops I have talked to say no-one sells these mounts and I have been told to use anything from thick leather or rubber to hockey pucks. The actual metal parts of the mounts look OK but I need the rubber cushion parts. Any help would be appreciated.


Remember, for every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch!
If you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I bought high density rubber from McMaster-Carr, & re-used my metal bits.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
64fleetside
What thickness did you use? did you use one pice or multiple layers?

Thanks Dale


Remember, for every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch!
If you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
IIRC, it was 5/8" thick, oil/heat/ozone resistant high density stuff. I sandwiched it between the OE metal parts, drilled the hole using a holesaw & low speed.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
classic industries has them. they are listed as 69-72 suburban about $13.50 each and you need 16 of them
the only cab mounts that you can use from the p/u cab is the frt ones and the "b"pillar ones are to thick
the top and bottom insulators have interlocking tabs to keep them in place

a discussion that I had with an old partsman about these insulators.if any one wants a pic of them in good shape to see what they looked like orig give me your email
the following is what Lewis Matkin sent to me. the pictures are mine and
I will have some more later for you as I have to check something out

Ron, this is Lewis. Please forgive me for not getting back sooner, but I
have been busy in my work for the church I serve. I checked both my
65-66 parts manual and my 67-72 parts manual. This is what I discovered:
1964-6 body mounts are p/n 3794779, w/dimentions of 1.76" w; 3.00" l;
0.92" thick, needing 8 (up & lwr same). The 67-8 p/n is 3909351 up &
lwr, 69-72 uses 3909351 as the lwr, but p/n 3946246 is the upr. No
dimentions are given for these cushions, and it seems that the frame
changed in '69. Qty's in 67-8 are 16, with 69-72 requiring 10 of each.
If you have dimentional axcess to the later cushions, these 64-66
dimentions should help you. Like you, I suspect that the 67-8 cushions
will work, but there is no superseded p/n's between the body styles. I
can tell you that years ago I bought cab mounts for my 65 and the p/n's
had superseded to the mounts for the 67-72 cabs. I hope that this info
is of some assistance in answerring this question.

the dimensions sound right. the .92" high includes the raised section
around the bolt hole.
The measurement excl the raised section is between about .73-.74" high
hope that helps
ron

ron

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 38
Thanks guys
This gives a direction to follow. We use McMater Carr for a lot of parts at work I will check them out. I will also check out classic industries. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before snow hits and the truck goes in the shop for the winter for a bunch of work.
Thanks again
Dale


Remember, for every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch!
If you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
you can use the 69 mounts, The frame holes are 3 different sizes. For the holes that were to small I cut off the little interlocking lips then used heater hose to keep ferrule from hitting the frame. Works great. The last time I bought them they told me they were the last sets in stock! (sorry) lol. Cut hose about 1/2 shorter than two mounts plus frame thickness. Some of the ferrules might be different lengths too so make sure they are short enough to allow for compression when you tighten the bolts!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
may have some old nasty ones and 2 new by the way. Bolts are different thicknesses and lengths too!


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0