Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,121 Posts1,056,328 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | For years I thought my leaky old w-1 was just old and to expect it .
My shed has always had a fuel smell to it, and its always given me a headache. I've had to keep the door open most of the time.
Today I pulled the tin cover off the top of the carb, just to do a bit of a clean and lube the links.
I bumped the throttle link and saw fuel come out the accelerator pump shaft , thru the top of the bowl cover.
Question. Is there a fix for this leak??
.
Last edited by Dusty; 11/10/2011 5:13 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Sounds like the float level is way to high. Fuel shouldn't be up that far Dusty.
DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/09/2011 11:55 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | Thanks for the thought DG , I will check that tomorrow. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | DG , I checked the float level and its correct. I pulled the pump and discovered there was a lot of rust stuck to the leather. I cleaned that off , thinking that maybe the fuel was leaking back past the seal where the bits of rust were. Then I saw a Zenith carb on a spare engine in the shed and decided to try that out , It works great , no more flat spot and no leaking , so if it is as economical to run, I will probably just keep it on the truck. Then I got carried away and fitted the cleaned up carter to the spare engine , thinking I will give it a test run next weekend , just to see if the engine is ok. (its been sitting for 20yrs)  Just as well we do this for fun , eh. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | So the engine runs GREAT !! no smoke , no rattles ,, LOVELY  . And , the carter off the truck , now on the spare engine has no leaks?? so it must have been the rust lumps on the accelerator pump leather causing the leak . All's well that ends well, eh. | | |
| |