| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 96 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 96 | Hello, Is there a listing in the archives or a source to go to on how to swap out a torque tube for an open drive shaft? Parts needed , procedure, etc. Does anyone make any of the needed parts? Thanks,Richard
Richard J Patrick - 1946 Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | Here's some REAR END CHOICES Being in the UK may present some issues finding these. I know when I converted my 53 Suburban years ago, I used a passenger car rear end with 5 lugs. I had to weld new perches on the rear end and make sure i centered it correctly in the wheel wells. I am sure there are others who have installed later model rear ends on the art Deco series truck, they will chime in. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | What are you trying to achieve? I can assure you that a torque tube setup is quite roadworthy once rebuilt.
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 96 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 96 | I am looking for an adapter to go on the front of the differential and the rear of the tranny to give me a universal to put in an open drive. My thought is it would make any future repair work a lot easier> Ric
Richard J Patrick - 1946 Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | Its a little more work than that. But you can change the gears and all the bearings to make it run well. I have a torque tube setup in my truck that is rebuilt and can drive faster than speed limits allow.....
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 96 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 96 | Hey Sweet, Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to do more homework. I was looking to make things easier to work on. As for drivability I think the Burb will do ok. I have a 235 from a '58 which has been rebuilt by a machine shop. So I was thinking the open driveshaft might be a good option. Now I must relook. Thanks again, Ric
Richard J Patrick - 1946 Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you keep the orginal style transmission whether its a 3 or 4 speed you can keep the stock torque tube. To go even further, you can install taller gears so achieve higher speeds. Again, depends on what you plan to do with the truck.
I installed 3:55 gears since I have a 261 and like to go on long trips to shows when time allows. Take a look at my Webshots album to see what I did. I can drive 60-80mph all day long.
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | |
| |
| |