The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
I had a near miss the other day. Hit a pot hole in the road that took the steering away from me and I over compensated with the loose steering and spooked all the cars around me. Fitting the week of Halloween.
I bought King Pins months ago from NAPA and set about to pull them in truck but had no luck.
I pulled the axle and I swear I marked the right and left side but now with paint on I can't find the darn mark.
Before I put the wrong spindle on the wrong side can someone tell me if there is a right and left to the 1 ton axles? The only difference I see is a small 1/4 inch hole on the spring pad. I'm guessing that's to hold the caster shims (there weren't any in my truck) and should go to the back.
I'm putting stuff together today including new tie rod ends, straighten the dog leg in the tie rod and a new Drag link that I made from modern tie rod ends and a center section.
Any help would be grreat.
Thanks, Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
nevermind... i figured it out. the king pin bolts go to the back. duh...


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
The big clue is the springs are closer together at the front than the back, so the bolt hole pattern in the pads on the axle is angled. You won't be able to bolt it to the springs if it's backward.

Left and right spindle should be interchangeable.
Put the tie rod on the back side of the axle.

Don't forget to use new U-bolts. It's not recommended or safe to reuse old ones.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by Grigg
Don't forget to use new U-bolts. It's not recommended or safe to reuse old ones.

Grigg

I didn't know that. are they designed to be torqued once?
Any advice for shocks?
That king pin kit we located through NAPA seems to be the right one. Thanks for the help there.
I am amazed at how much crud was on the axle and everything else. Not to mention the dog leg in the tie rod. Straightening it is proving entertaining. I suspect it doesn't =have to be as straight as Motorcycle fork tubes which I straighten often enough but it will be considerably straighter when finished. If a left hand tap wasn't so expensive I'd have made my own out of Chromoly. dance

Big fun on a 1 ton!

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 255
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 255
Hey Wrench? What did you use for tie-rod ends? The typical old chevy sites don't list anything for the 1-tons, is there a modern style that fits nicely?

I have a 1950 3800, and the old joints look more arthritic than Abe Vigoda's knees.

Thanks

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
I got mine at NAPA. They had to order them in.
They look just like the originals.
It took them 4 tries to get the LEFT one as they were mis boxed at the factory. Yeah that was amusing.
I used standard tie rod ends with a 4" adjusting section for the drag link.
Had to have the hole in the control arm welded up, and drilled and both the pitman arm and the control arm reamed with a 7 degree tapered ream. I wasn't going to buy the ream for one job.

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0