The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Youngin' Tut 59), 143 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#793944 10/31/2011 3:07 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
I have a 49 suburban with a new 0-30 ohm sender in the tank hooked up to the factory gauges. I'm not sure if the gas gauge in the cluster is 6V or 12V (or if that matters). When I turn on my key, the fuel gauge goes right over to F and a little beyond. The gas tank is near empty. Any help with some troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. My truck has been converted to 12V

Last edited by pplummer; 10/31/2011 3:08 PM.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Maybe the sending unit wire is accidently grounded somewhere?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I think that means the float is stuck, or the resistance, ain't resistancing. By that I mean that perhaps the wire has come off the sender, or you've lost your ground. If I recall correctly, the higher the level in the tank, the more resistance in the circuit, That why I'd imagine the resistance ain't resistancing.

Have you pulled the tank from the truck?


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 124
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 124
If your truck is 12-volts and your dash gauge is the stock one... you need to install a "Runtz" on the back of the fuel gauge to reduce it back down to 6-volts. Your 0-30 ohm sender is correct so you should live happily ever after.....

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Where does the sender ground? Is it through the mounting screws itself to the tank? I guess I could jump it to find that out first right? If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll drop the tank. For clarification, When it's all the way to 'F' does that mean no resistance or full resistance? (I guess if I knew that, i'd have my answer about ground)

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
I'm pretty sure my gauge is 12V. Maybe the wires are reversed on the back of my gauge?

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
My understanding is Full = no resistance.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
That happened to the aftermarket 12v gas gauge on my '54 (converted from 6v to 12v). I had overtightened the contact to the wire on the sending unit. Must have collapsed the insulation and grounded it out. Backed off the nut a little and solved the problem.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
I'll check the sending unit wire for tightness, and I'll check for a bad ground. Thanks for the super quick responses!

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
I had this happen on my '51 suburban and I went about 5 years worrying about running out of gas before I finally dug into it.

I had the instrument cluster out as part of a rewire. I inspected the gas gauge and found that the fibre board backing up the contacts had warped and was grounding the gauge. I was able to straighten and reinforce this plate, and the gauge has worked just fine for the past 10 years.

Hey we still need to get together.

Kurt -Burb owner in Raleigh of long standing-


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0