Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
90
guests, and
6
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 | hello, how much is the empty weight for a 1952 1 ton panel ? thank's
1948 GMC Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | I think if you look at the plate on the door post it will give the gross weight. This will be the weight of the truck plus payload. So subtract 2000 lbs and you should have it.
Kurt | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 219 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 219 | What about the 1/2 ton panel what's the dry weight of it?
layback
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | I dunno, but the GVW on mine is 4200#, an I believe its truly a half ton, meaning you are allowed to put 1000# in the back, I guess that means that means it weighs about 3200#. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 | thank's guy's for the info,empty weight is 4,335 pounds- payload is 2,600 pounds
1948 GMC Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Curb weight is 4355 (empty of payload but including fuel). Totally empty weight is the shipping weight of 4165.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 9 | hello thank's for all the info- found a 1970 3/4 ton rear end -need to ck out the 3rd member gear ratio
1948 GMC Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I went to oldride.com and oldcarmanualproject.com and it seems as though 4200 lbs curb weight is pretty much right on for a 3800 series panel truck. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 | Printed on the original paint on my 1954 3805 panel (GVW. 7800). Not sure who or when it was printed on the drivers door. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 | I'm confused! On my 54 3805 panel the factory plate on drivers door post it states (maximum GVW. 8800 LB) | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | I think the GVW varied, with the tires that came on the truck. I know that's true on plain old 1 ton trucks, and assume (I know, dangerous!) that the same thing happened on Panels. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I think the GVW varied, with the tires that came on the truck. I know that's true on plain old 1 ton trucks, and assume (I know, dangerous!) that the same thing happened on Panels. That is correct. The 8800 GVW trucks have dual wheels on the rear. I do not think any factory Panels had dual rear wheels on the rear (but, someone could have easily changed the ID plate). | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 | Tim I don't believe my plate has been changed. I don't see any evidence of it or any reason to have changed it. My panel does not have duels and a lot of the original yellow paint intact. I have always thought the whole truck seams really heavy duty. It does have the 17 inch 8 lug retainer style wheels. But then who knows?
Thanks for all your help to the many members on this site.
Karl | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 | My tag says 8800 lbs gvw too.. Orignal title rated the truck in pa at 11,000 lbs gvw. The stock tires would have been overloaded, but in those days they wern't carrying loads at highway speeds either. The springs are the same for both single and dual tires from what I learned on mine. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Karl & Ned,
My post above was based on the information I posted above in the Specifications Manual. When I got home, I checked the Truck Data Books.
The 3805 Panel had an option RPO267, Springs, Rear, that added 3400 to the GVW rating. It was a set of auxiliary springs and was probably ordered in combination with RPO 272 the 7.50-17 8 ply tires (4 tires) that added 2100 lbs in payload capacity. 10 ply 7.50-17 tires were also available (allowing even a higher payload with those springs).
Therefore, the most conservative addition of capacities (tires/springs) gives a GVW of at least 9100 lbs.
What rear spring-sets and size tires do you have on your trucks?
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 | I put new springs on, they are a double stack arrangment, so they may have built in helpers. I don't have the info in front of me, but I ran the numbers at the time and it totaled right about 12,000 lbs. Mike at detroit eaton helped me determine the correct spring.
The truck was equippped with 10 plys when I bought it. The previous owner says he routinely carried 4,000 lbs, because that was the weight of the copper ingot he used to pick up for the foundry he worked.
I have no intentions of carrying that, but with the new springs and 19.5 tires, I think it would be a cake walk.
Last edited by The Ned; 03/24/2012 3:43 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 40 | Ned and Tim, my truck has 8 - two inch wide leaves on the rear. The last one at the axle is very short in length. By the way you both have really nice trucks! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | The overload springs, if present, won't do anything without the frame horns that the ends land on when needed. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Ned and Tim, my truck has 8 - two inch wide leaves on the rear. The last one at the axle is very short in length. By the way you both have really nice trucks! Thanks for the compliment. 8-leaf per side, 2" wide, in the standard 3805 Suburban. | | |
| |