The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jay R, 5cameo8, Barry Martak), 145 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
The beltline on the back of my cab is rusted out in several places. These cabs were built in multiple pieces and each has a "c" shape overlap that becomes the beltline. The roof piece overlaps on top of the back piece of the cab.

When I patch the cab does it still need to be two overlapping pieces so it can flex or move? Why can't I fabricate a beltline bump and weld in as a one piece repair?

Clear as mud? Thanks!!


1946 Chevy Half Ton
('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS)
1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I didn't have the rust issues you have, so was able to paint without much repair. Truck has been painted for over 5 years now and there are no signs of belt line moving or slipping within itself, so I don't know how much movement really happens in that joint ?


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
The joint is there due (educated guess not original knowledge) to having to form the sheet metal in several pieces. I see no reason you couldn't make the patch as you described. If you're a good welder and body man, why not go ahead and seam weld the whole joint? I made sure they put a good fill of seam sealer on mine before paint.


'69 1/2T stepside, Sea Foam Green, 250 L6 w/ 3 on the tree, not an option on it, in the family since new.
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
Thanks for the input. I found a few similar threads on some other forums and they used similar solutions.

Welding sheet metal is difficult for me but I think I have too much rust to ignore. I don't have the patience to let things cool and I get warped areas.


1946 Chevy Half Ton
('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS)
1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
You may want to check this repair piece out. It is on EBay for $64.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-1946-C...77391354?vxp=mtr&hash=item4aafd28cfa
Harold

Last edited by Harold46; 10/29/2011 4:43 AM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0