The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (klhansen), 65 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,376
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
Thanks to 3B helping find another three speed column shift, I'm taking it apart for a rebuild. I got to the disassembly part where I remove the main shaft.

I pressed the main shaft towards the front opening as the shop manual says. The main shaft is loose from the rear bearing but I can't get it out because it stuck to the synchro ring and 1st/reverse gears. Because the main shaft is stuck to the synchro drum, it runs into the counter gear assembly. I even made sure the synchro lugs were lined up with the main shaft spurs.

Any ideas or am I missing a step?

Picture

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Lode51, I just read the disassembly procedure, and the mainshaft should not be stuck to anything once it is free of the rear bearing. the mainshaft should be able to slide out through the sychronizer drum, first/reverse gear and second speed gear. Once the mainshaft is out of the case the rest of the gears that fit on the mainshaft can be removed. If something is seized together then I guess that transmission is not good, you can return it for a refund or exchange it for another.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
Have you removed the speedo drive? The shaft should push through out the front of the syncro. Make sure the 2 lugs on the syncro ring are lined up with the grove as pictured in the book. You may have to rig up a puller to the case and press out the shaft if its buggered up


Dave Chapman
The Hollister Road Company
713-937-0387
[email protected]
www.hollisterroad.com
www.thoroco.com

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0