| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (JW51, Gdads51, 52Carl, TrknGMC, Leo, texas46, 1 invisible),
193
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,181 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 | Hello -
Have been seriously considering purchasing an AD truck...actually missed out on a few, but I'd like to refine what it is that I'm looking for.
I know that the AD trucks went to Bendix brakes in '51, which provided much more stopping power, and parts are much cheaper. What other mechanical changes were there in the AD trucks that might make one year more desirable than another, from the standpoint of being easier to work on and more desirable to own?
I'm aware that most people like the 1/2 tons more than 3/4 tons, but is that just because you can get 3:55 gears for the 1/2 tons? What other differences are there aside from heavier springs and a different drive train from the tranny back (2 piece drive shaft, open rear end on 3/4 ton)?
I already own a '59 Apache 3600, and I swapped out the Eaton rear for a Dana 60...it wasn't that hard, and I got 3:54 gears. Can you do the same swap to an AD 3/4 ton truck?
Lastly, there's 3 window vs. 5 window. From what I've seen, the 5 window cabs seem to command a premium, but how un/popular are the 3 window cabs, and exactly how much more should/would a 5 window cab cost?
Just trying to understand what makes one year and model more desirable than another.
Thanks...
Chris
Last edited by Barsteel; 10/17/2011 2:03 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | More parts are available for 1/2 tons because 1/2 tons were/are more plentiful. A variety of body, brake, engine, and styling changes were made throughout the A-D years. These changes were more evolutionary than revolutionary. The 1954 year saw the largest number of substantial changes - in engine and in body style. The 1955 Task Force trucks body-changes and V-8 engines were big changes. Here are a few chronicles/listings of differences over the A-D years: http://1954advance-design.com/A-D_LCVA/LCVA-1-47.htmlhttp://1954advance-design.com/A-D_factoids/ | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 | The 47 2nd and 48 cabs had the gas tank underneath the truck,49 up was inside.
_____________ Floyd If we choose being kind over being right,we will be right every time. Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience. Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it is precious nonetheless. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | 3-5 window cabs like (1/2-3/4) are a matter of choice I like the 3 so that is what I bought and restored. I would say a 5-window is more desireable probably in a dollar figure range of $500-$1000 more on essentially the same truck (Utah examples). If you like that look hold out until you find one, buy the best truck optioned how you like it for the money. There are lot's and lot's of A-D's out there so get what you want. Oh and one last rule everything will be twice as expensive as you planned. Good luck! | | |
| |
| |