The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Hey guys I've gotten my power brake/ Master cylinder bolted in my 57 3600, but I need the part that is located and circled in red. My local NAPA did not have the part, I'm not even sure what it's called! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Brake Part

Last edited by Ebbflow; 10/11/2011 5:09 PM.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 68
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 68
is yours threaded under the dust boot? should be. i made mine w/ a coupling and threaded rod with a pivoting eye on the end (that attaches to brake lever). the rod flexed a little when the brake was depressed, so i placed a sleeve over it. 1/2 ID steel pipe. turned out well. running it for about a year w/o any problems. got my material from ace harware and tractor supply. a little red-neck ingineering i know, but i hope this helps. -DVZ

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Try calling the company you purchased the kit from.


There are universal push rods available
...click...

Good Luck

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
Ebbflow,

I've always call that the "master cylinder push rod".

What's wrong with what you have?

That looks like the set up I just got from Performance Online. I'm having issues fitting the pedal and the pedal extension in the mounting bracket. Did you modify the pedal to fit?

I started a thread called "55-50 Power Brake Issues".

Thanks,

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Mike,

I am actually missing the push rod that connects to the brake pedal. All I have is the threaded bolt sticking out of the power booster and not the rod that actually threads onto that bolt that then connects to the pedal. I have contacted the place where I purchased it and they are looking into it. The biggest problem is that I received it months ago and finally got around to installing it and I have it all bolted in place but can't finish it without that piece. I hope I don't have any problems connecting to the pedal but I won't know until I get it.

By the way that picture came from another member here, who has done that exact upgrade and his was a "Slam Dunk". He had no problems getting it all connected and he said it works great.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Just a follow up:

I did get my part. The company shipped it out rather quickly so I was pleasantly surprised. I did end up having to cut the push bar, it was a little long. Got mounted and ready for brake lines now.

Question: Can I hook up both front wheels to one outlet and then the rears to the other? From the original MC I had one brake line going to the left front wheel, then another line to a T and then a line from that, to the right front wheel and then the rear brake hose.

Thanks Again.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
Ebbflow,

Am I understanding correctly that you have 3 wheels on one line (circuit) and 1 on the other? If you have a leak in the 3 wheel line you only have on wheel stopping the truck...this is not safe as the truck will pull very hard in that direction!

Are you running disc brakes on the front and drum on the rear or all drum?

Did your MC come with a Combination Valve (Metering, Pressure Differential and Proportioning)? If so I would change the lines so you have a separate line to each front wheel and one common line to both rear wheels. If you are running all drum than you should have one pot on the MC do the front and the other do the rear.

Since you have the MC down now might be the perfect time to replace all of the steel and rubber lines.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0