The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, KEVINSKI), 87 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,706
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78771 06/14/2007 12:47 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 21
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 21
I have a problem getting the lower grease fitting on the kingpins to take grease on my 53 1 ton. I have jacked it up and tried to move wheels around to get them to take but with no luck. I did a search and found one suggestion to remove fitting and use an ice pick to try to clean out old hard grease. Could this cause any damage? Should I try to apply Heat or Spray with BP Blaster?
Thanks for your help,
Ralph

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Cut to the chase and apply some gentle heat to loosen up the hard grease.
Also, make sure the bushings were installed with the hole lined up with the grease fitting to allow the grease to get to the kingpin.
I recently pulled a '54 3600 axle out of a truck at the junkyard that had a recent brake and kingpin job. I couldn't get the fittings to take any grease and after removal of the fittings I dicovered the jacka$$ that did the kingpin job didn't line up the bushing holes with the grease fittings!


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
But the chances are that replacing the fitting will do the trick. Gentle heat, as Ghostrider says, will be enough, and only to loosen old dirty grease. A low mpact repair is always best for an old machine, if it works. Grease fittings are cheap.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
get it lubed some how or soon you will have to hire a sumo to turn the steeringwheel...doc

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
As an oiler/greaser at a sawmill, I run into this problem every day. First thing to do is remove the fitting and clean out the hole down to the surface. if all is clear, I put a new fitting in but only start it in the threads. Then grease it, next tighten the fitting down, this will push the old dry packed grease/dirt thru, repeat this procedure a couple of times until it works with the grease gun.If it isn't clear and you see the brass bushing you will either have to take it all apart to realign the bushing with the hole. I usually grind a drill bit flat instead of its usual 30 degree angle.Just be carefull not to keep drilling after all the brass is gone. smile
Lothar


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0