The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Barry Martak, Guitplayer, fonz8261, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 19
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 19
I'm going to paint my 1950 panel with Centari acrylic enamel and am considering doing it in 4 sections. Taping it off at the drip lines and doing the top seperately. I'm a novice painter and have to wonder if my results might be better not having to focus on such a larger work area all at one time. Is this an appropriate method?

The Tech sheet says apply 3 wet coats. Does it matter that it could be a half hour or more before I get around to the beginning again if I do it not in sections?

I have considered getting a profesional involved for the final painting, but with all the time, money and equipment I've invested to get to this point I am more interested in seeing a result, whether its success or failure.

any suggestions?

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I'm about to paint my panel too. I'm just using regular old industrial enamel. I'm going to start at the top, and work down for the primer. For colour, I'm doing two-tone, so that gives me a break when I start doing that. I'm so cheap, all I can think about, is how much all that masking tape costs!

As for that quick drying new fangled stuff, I don't know how you could move fast enough to paint a panel truck in one go.

Why not ask at the place you bought the paint? They usually know all this kind of stuff.

I'm sure someone who knows more than me will chime in with a better answer.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 117
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 117
IF you are talking about waiting 30 min. between coats that is not a go idea. The paint has a flash time at a certain temp. usually about 10 minutes at 70 degrees. Make sure you wait the right time between coats.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

1950chevypanel,

I am not a painter but I have helped friends/experts paint my trucks. As you most likely know, flash time is the minimum time (not the maximum time) you must wait between coats.

As you posted, the Centari Technical Data Sheet says to:
"Apply three full wet coats. No additional flash is required between passes."

The pot life is 3-4 hours if the Overall Gloss Hardener is used.
Are you using no activator (indefinite pot life), the Overall Gloss Hardener (3-4 hours), or the Ultra Activator (45 minutes to 3 hours, depending on tint additives)?

No maximum time between coats is specifically indicated; however, the pot life would be a limiting factor.

Maybe someone has Technical Data Sheet Information about maximum time between coats? You might want to post information about what Centari mixture you will be using (names/numbers of reducer, and, if you use one, the name/number of the activator, or hardener). Also, post if you are using any metallics additives.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0