The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Woodcmiami), 86 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#786715 10/06/2011 9:36 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 29
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 29
I purchased a NAPCO installation guide for the AD NAPCO in 3/4 and 1 ton models. What surprised me is they use the stock leaf springs and make no relocation of them to a parallel configuration.

Doing research on non parallel leaf springs in trucks, it is quite common in 4x4. I have read where some said the springs had to be moved in parallel for the 4x4 conversion.

This not being the case as the installation guide shows, it seems if we could find a axle with correct width for the front of our one tons, and moved the spring perches, why could we not convert using modern axle, and transfer case and make a 4x4?

The installation guide shows the only holes to drill were for the mounting of the divorced transfer case. Can it be that simple??

Last edited by justmeok; 10/06/2011 9:36 PM.
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
I think it COULD be that simple, but my experience was different. I had to use a F**d front axle because of my t-case choice - had to do with driver's side output shaft. The axle I chose had the spring perch cast right into the pumpkin. That meant I pretty much had to use the springs that fit the axle - and they sit parallel to the frame.

Of course the AD frame is not parallel - so I had to fab up some mounts for the spring etc. etc. etc!

I think if I had to do it over again I would either choose a different t-case/axle combination OR put the body onto a newer 4x4 chassis.

Just my two cents!

Craig


It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 29
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 29
How about using this to outboard the front shackle? Seems simple to do.

http://www.levonius.com/adam/wheeling/1tonbuild.htm

Look at the 3/8/08 pictures for the idea above.

Do you have a clearance issue with the springs and tires since they are further out in the front than before?

Any pictures of your setup??


Last edited by justmeok; 10/07/2011 10:16 PM.
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
Those mounts look slick! I ended up doing something sort of similar in the back, but in the front I had to do differently. I used some 4x4 square tubing and sort of built it up as I went. I left holes to access the shackle bolts and such.

I've got some pictures, but it has been a while since I have posted pics. . .I'll try soon.

Craig


It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
Here are those pics I said I'd try to get. These are the front and rear mounts for the front springs only. I did something completely different for the rear springs.

Like I said the front mounts are 4x4 square tubing and the rear are 8" channel with a gusset. I put the shackle in the front - reason being I have read that there is a kit to change Jeeps to a front shackle set-up and the 4x4 world has done that for some reason.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20Dodge%20dually%20bed/IMG_0954.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20Dodge%20dually%20bed/IMG_0953.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20Dodge%20dually%20bed/IMG_0951.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20Dodge%20dually%20bed/IMG_0952.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20Dodge%20dually%20bed/IMG_0955.jpg


http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20Dodge%20dually%20bed/IMG_2600.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20Dodge%20dually%20bed/IMG_2587.jpg

The last links show a mock-up of my '50 with the dodge dually bed on it. You can see the way I mounted the front axle dictated the height of the truck. A little more lift than I wanted, but it'll look cool anyway.

Craig

Last edited by chevoldsmoyota; 10/10/2011 1:52 PM.

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 29
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 29
Looks Good. Thanks for the pictures. How wide is the front axle? What axle model did you use?

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
The axle is off of a 1979 F**d F-250, but I wouldn't recommend using it because of the differential-mounted spring perch. It is *approximately* 70" from mounting flange to mounting flange. I would, if I had it all to do over again, pick a t-case with Passenger side output and then a GM axle with the passenger side pumpkin. Then it would be a simple matter of welding on the spring perches and you could use stock leaf springs on the AD chevy!

Just my thoughts. Hindsight really IS 20/20!

Craig

Last edited by chevoldsmoyota; 10/11/2011 4:47 AM.

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0