The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Opelika Tom), 115 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#786344 10/05/2011 4:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 99
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 99
I have a 1951 Chevy 3604 (3/4 ton) truck. Does anyone know how much gear oil I will need to purchase in order to change it out? I don't have anything big enough to measure it with if I were to drain it now, that way I can pick up the oil and a new gasket all at the same time. Thanks in advance, Jeff.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451


cavebull
Stovebolts - so easy even a Cavebull can do it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/collections
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 99
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 99
Thank you so much Cavebull, I have the 1951 shop manual but did not see that in there. Thanks again!

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
Another question to hijack the topic. I just got my issue of Skinned Knuckles and it has an article on the proper trans and diff lube. Basically that new lubes are bad for brass and bronze bushings. Is this a concern for our stovebolts? Curious what gear oil others are using. Thanks.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
If you are concerned about this, go to some place like agri-supply and get a bucket of 90wt gl1. many of the gear oils today are gl5, which is the rating that may cause problems with brass/bronze.

This is what I do. I have a number of antique tractors that I run 140wt gl1 gear lube.

Kurt

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Tractor Supply has GL1 90w gear oil, last time I was there it was labeled as Ford Tractor Gear Oil. You could also use a non detergent 40w or 50w motor oil. 90w gear oil and 50w motor oil are the same viscosities.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0