The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny, KEVINSKI, Lostbuthaulinass, Peggy M, tclederman, 2 invisible), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,478
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#785883 10/04/2011 1:54 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
I purchased a SPECTRA PREMIUM GM55A Fuel Tank for my 54 Chevy 3100 ... I received it last Friday... I was going to install it today... I looked inside the tank and saw some water in the bottom of the tank... On the bottom seam there is some flash rust forming... Do I need to be concerned ?

Has any one purchased one of these tanks ? Are they supposed to coated and sealed on the inside from the factory ?

I did research and found that SPECTRA PREMIUM Fuel Tanks to be the best and being true to the original tanks...

Thanks in advance...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
I got one in 2 weeks ago. GM55A ordered through rock auto.

I looked inside and saw brown color. I my case is was an oil coating most likely from the production process.

it was blocking the outlet.
...pic...

...pic...

...pic...

..inside tank pic...

I just installed a pipe plug in the outlet and poured some solvent in the tank and swashed it around. Cleared the outlet and made sure there was no loose material in the tank.

I think the tanks are tested with air.


Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
Update: Sent tank back and received a new replacement today that has no signs of flash rusting... Had no problem with Rockauto in exchanging for a replacement...

Getting closer to be on the road again after 28 years...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0