The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wally / Montana), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#781700 09/18/2011 2:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 255
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 255
Good morning Stovebolters. Bringing our 1950 3600 back to life and have found that there was about half a tank of gas in the tank when it was put away 7 years ago.

Whats the best way to clean out an old tank and prep it for use?

Thanks - Bruce

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
If a new one is available, I always go with a new one, along with a sender and rubber hoses,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
Second what Bigtrucks said. There is probably a lot of surface rust in the tank from moisture condensate. That's what happened to my truck. I decided to send mine to Tank Renu. A lot folks on here have used the tank "clean and coat" systems (available from a lot of vendors) with very good results. Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If it's just old fuel it can be cleaned fairly easily. Many radiator shops will boil it out for you. If there's rust involved it'll need to be acid cleaned and coated. If that's the case I agree with Scott, replace it if you have that option.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 85
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 85
I used a 3 step system from KBS coatings....I am very happy with the results.


Do something! Even if it's wrong!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I took mine to a place that dips radiators, car parts, and entire car bodies to get rid of the rust. The place was called Chem Strip. Don't know if it's a chain or what. My tank had been sitting for about 25 years with old gasoline in it. After dipping it was clean as a whistle and I haven't had any problems. I think it cost about 75 bucks.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
My truck arrived with a tank half full of very rusty water. I drained and flushed it. With nothing to lose, I put a shovel full of sand and gravel and some more water and shook it hard and rinsed more water through until it ran clean. This took some time and strength. It came up clean enough to use, but ongoing rust would be a problem.
Its been sitting dry for a while , while I restore the truck. I expect to use one of the available tank-liner type coatings. I have used them before in motorcycles with good success.


'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0