| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,361 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 75 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 75 | I was just rebuilding my front brakes when I saw that the rubber shock connecting rod bushing was worn through. I got new ones to install but it feels like the shock is devoid of fluid. I know I can get shocks rebuilt but in the mean time, I'd like to try to put some fluid in and see how it goes.
Can anyone tell me where it goes in (that big slotted head bolt on top?) and if you have any other advise...
thanks - doug | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 315 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 315 | The slotted screw on top is the fill and I used jack oil to fill them. Don't be surprised if the oil leaks out around the shaft for the arm. That is the weak area on those old style shocks. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 553 | They have resistance only in one direction. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 75 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 75 | Thanks Dunfire,
Once I figured out how to get the little spring plug out, the fluid went right in. I'll take it for a spin this weekend to see if I can feel a difference - then look for oil leaking around the shaft.
BTW - I looked at your link and beautiful '36. What a gem to find a truck that old with only two owners (and in what seems like good relative) condition.
best,
Doug
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 75 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 75 | Thanks Steppinwood,
Mine had resistance on no directions before I put fluid in.... or are you suggesting that I get a double action version in there(?)
best, Doug | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 315 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 315 | The single action should work just fine. I added the shocks to my truck and what a difference it made in the ride. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | They have resistance only in one direction. 'Tain't necessarily so. There were single action shocks and double action with dampening in both directions. Admittedly it's more likely a truck would have single action shocks but a previous owner could have put double action shocks on. Having said that I replaced my lever shocks with tube shocks and LOVE the difference it makes.
Last edited by Tiny; 09/15/2011 2:29 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think the single acting shocks have stamped metal links that would buckle under compression. The double acting ones I have seen had stronger links made from round stock. | | |
| |
| |