The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Robert Crandall, J Lucas, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 99 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
This is my first try with my Devilbiss JG-503 paint gun. I've painted with HVLP guns and know that the pressure to the gun needs to be within a certain spec. On a regular gun such as the JG-503, what pressure do I set my compressor at? Also, what is the difference between setting the paint cup to drip free or conventional suction. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Don

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
I got this figured out, just read the spec's more closely. However, my problem at the moment is I can't get the gun to spray fluid. Air comes out of the tip, but it won't pick up any paint from the cup (bottom feed). I've check gaskets,tightness, etc., nothing helps. This is a gun a bought about five years ago, but has never been used.
Thanks,
don

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
What capacity compressor are you using and what do you have the pressure set to reaching the gun? Since it's been stored have you checked the pickup tube for obstruction? Also what paint are you trying to spray?


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
9 times out of 10 your paint is to thick to spray. Have you thinned it out? Will it pick up just plain thinner?
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
Thanks again for the help. It turns out the problem was my stupidity. I bought another fluid tip for the gun to use for clear-coat. However, the gun didn't pick up paint from the cup with it. I thought I had gone back to the original fluid tip for troubleshooting purposes, but for some reason it was still the new tip. Once I finally realized that, I put on the original fluid tip and it worked great. Turns out even though the tips look almost identical, the new tip wouldn't work with a suction feed cup. The end result is I painted both the base coat and clear coat with the original tip (1.6) and it worked great. I made sure I adjusted the compressor for the PSI recommended for the base coat and clear coat (different settings). FYI: this is my third attempt to paint the truck (sanded down the first two). The first time I used a HVLP/turbine system and the second time a HVLP gun with the air compressor (different guns). The third time (this gun), I used a regular gun with my compressor. This time the results were great. I couldn't get rid of the orange peel with the first two systems. It may be I just wasn't skillful enough, but the regular gun worked great for me and clean-up was much simpler than the HVLP guns. Again, thanks for the responses. One of my troubleshooting rules is "go back to the thing you did last." I should have known.
don


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0