1950 Chevy 3100
Just finished replacing 4 new cylinders from Raybesto, lines, and a new master cylinder. Master cylinder was bench bled before installed. Noticed the plunger shaft of the master clinder never moved more than a 1/2 inch when it was being bench bled. It is a cheap oversea's master cylinder. Not sure if that means anything, but it makes me wonder if it is a sign of a bad master cylinder.
Am having problems somewhere's and am not sure where. The brakelines were bled correctly, but there are problems with the brake peddle not really building up or holding pressure. The brakes go to the floor. If I pump it, then it will have pressure, but that pressure build up dissappears after letting up and then the brakes go to the floor again. It takes about 20 pumps to build up the pressure, and it doesn't seem like it is reaching the full psi it should have under normal conditions. It will hold that pressure until I let off the peddle.
I didn't originally bench bleed the master. It would build up psi, but then back pressure would flush the brake fluid back into the master cylinder. I didn't check to see if it still does this since taking it to the bench to bleed. thinking that it was the cause/effect of not bench bleeding it...but not sure about that.
Any ideas on what my next move is? Appreciate any input.
thanks
Last edited by simonbolivar; 09/07/2011 7:44 PM.