The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (CuzzFuzz), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77886 05/22/2007 2:33 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
I figure this is simple, but there is a lot going on right now, so I thought I'd ask "the Brain Trust". I have a fresh rebuilt SBC with TH350, Rochester 4V carb, HEI Ignition. Idles fine and runs up nice, but when I put it in gear, it wants to stall out. If I give it gas while holding the brake it will let me go, but to hold full brake at idle in gear is not happening. With the Alan Grove brakets, I'm not able to see my timing marks, so I'm going by ear. Not how I would prefer it. Any suggestions. I've uped the idle, but something else is needed.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Clint Lovell, Do you have a vacuum gauge? If you do you can check the reading of another similar sbc that you can verify the timing on, and then use the vacuum gauge to set your own timing, I've had to do this a few times when installing new engines in P vans. Also if the engine is new it may be a little tight yet and may settle down after a bit of running, hope that helps.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Clint:

I had a similar problem with a sbc in a '66 Chevy C10 with a 700R4 transmission. I had my mechanic adjust the kickdown cable and this seemed to make startup from a stand still after shifing into drive much smoother and prevented the stall I was experiencing. It helped me, maybe it will help you.

Tony

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 191
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 191
Mismatched stall converter maybe?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It might be a bad converter like Robin say,s. It could be a vacuum leak. Try running the vacuum advance on ported vacuum & set the idle stop up a little. You might need to richen the idle jets a little.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
This is obvious question but I don't see it addressed here anywhere. What is the idle speed set for in neutral? Should be around 700 - 750 RPM or thereabouts so that when you put it in drive and the torque converter pulls down the idle you end up at around 550.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0