Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,646 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | Just about ready to put the whole OE brake system back together. If your expert eyes could look at the pictures of the mocked together parts and let me know if this works or appears correct. I have one drawing, a photo, a few hundred pieces, and memories from two years ago. The primary concern is the bracketry connecting the shoes together and to the rear end proper. Of all possible ways this seems the most logical. Pins and springs are put in and reside from the rear to ease assembly (i.e. the keepers). Do not see any interference between moving parts. Thoughts are appreciated. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/sets/72157627571540632/ | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 | cavebull, That looks correct to me. I've got some pictures from before I took my brakes apart(not near as clean as yours). If you need them I'll be glad to send them to you. Just shoot me an email and I'll get them off to you. George geodebwells@yahoo,com | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 | I just looked in my 48-51 book and they look right to me as well. Go to the old car manual site and check them out as well.
1946 1-ton Panel 1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | Hey 46, Thanks for taking a look. Yeah, A picture or two would be great ( [email protected]). I have been pretty happy so far with my photo documentation (thanks stoevbolters for the advice to buy a cheap digital camera before beginging). I did not take any of the OE brakes, I guess because the shoes were being held together by bailing wire, it did not appear to be factory, and my plan was an OE restoration. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | MikeE, Old car manual site? Not familiar with that, | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 |
1946 1-ton Panel 1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | NIIICE! Even found an answer to E brake question. Cavebull | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | Denny, Perfect! Helps a lot, A LOT. I am inspired again. I like the solid mount of the shoes to the rear proper, without springs and keepers - right rear pict. Pressure Bleeder: I want something as industrial to fill my system when I am done. I like the adapter for the MC, nice! Adapters for the bleeders, csn you explain them...they are just threaded tubes for tubing to slip over - thread into the OE bleeder in place of cap screw? After bleed you put cap screw in, correct? Gasket (material) between the bleeder and "cap" screw - you just using a plain washer, no copper, fiber? Bolts for BP to Spindle are from outside with nuts inside, i like that better. Dust cover driver - you are the so man! Your chasing threads on the rear flange for BP, is this OE? My BP's were originally riveted on and I was just going to use grade 8's and lock nuts. Again thanks and this gives me soem things to think about. Cavebull | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | The pressure bleeder isn't really necessary, in fact it’s more trouble than it’s worth just to use it once every couple of years. The original stock bleeders are threaded and have a cap that’s screwed in after you bleed them, no gasket. I think it was their way of keeping the dirt out before they thought up the rubber caps. So…..to keep the mess down, I made up a set of hose barb fittings that you could screw in to the bleeder while you were bleeding it. And yes, the 3600 has thread in the housing that the backing plates bolt to.
DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | Got the first bunch of brake refurbish picts on the Flikr site in a folder labeled Huck Brake Refurbish. Includes modification picts for grease fittings on brake and clutch pedal assemblies, finished huck brake install, and cutting in adjustment slots in front 39' backing plates. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/sets/72157627774637292/Cavebull
Last edited by cavebull; 09/28/2011 9:16 PM. Reason: link correction
| | |
| |