The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (carbking, 2-Ton, Guitplayer), 205 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
When I was taking the rear axle off the springs I noticed that this "brace" (for lack of better words) was positioned different from side to side.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113636046886857960240/Frame#5645716087685902098

You can see theres a thicker side. The previous shot is from the passenger and the thicker side faces the front of the truck.

On the drivers side, the thicker side faces the rear of the truck.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113636046886857960240/Frame#5645716055654362722

Does this matter?

Any tips for reattaching the axle to the springs?

Mark

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Bigtonka, judging by the pictures I don't think the installed relationship between the axle and the U bolt plate will change by which end faces the front of the truck. The important thing is to get the axle lined up with the spring center bolt, and tighten down on the U bolts uniformly, so that they all carry the same load and hold the axle in place firmly, hope that helps.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
Do you have shocks? I believe that the thicker side was where the shock brackets bolted. No shock, probably does not matter.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
3B - I thought the same, but figured I'd check with "da boyz"...

Line up with the spring center bolt - check.

Donf - no, no rear shocks, guess I'll point them both in the same direction just the same.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has to kneel in rocks to work on a truck! :mad:

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Probably has to do with balancing the torque of the drive shaft. Most of the time you are in a forward direction, so it probably helps eliminate wheel hop. Most people who have tried to take off too fast in reverse have noticed it is fairly easy to get wheel hop.

If you ever raced a leaf spring rear car like a Nova you know what I mean.

2 cents


Jon S
Las Vegas NV
1966 GMC Suburban 305V6
Psalm 66 "Make a joyful noise"
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/gvdobler/0205011645b.jpg
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Originally Posted by 55 1st suburban
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has to kneel in rocks to work on a truck! :mad:

Bruce


Oh man - I'm so SICK of the rocks!! I had brought the truck to my inlaws land to do the blasting and paint, I just got it back in my concrete garage tonight! I missed the concrete!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0