The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
I am looking at new wheels for my truck. The original wheels have a lot of corrosion inside and are pretty banged up. I measured the original wheels and they have a 3 1/2" backspacing. I went over wheels with my daughter since it we are doing this together and she chose Wheel Vintique series 13 chrome / bare steel rims. They are 16 x 7 with a 4" backspace. With the center painted black they will look similar to the original wheels. When I had the truck on the lift it appears that clearance should be OK but in seeing another post on 15" wheels someone commented that the backspacing would not work.
Does anyone know if these will work? Does anyone have these wheels and what do you think of them? Thanks

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You will definetly want to go with the 3 1/2" backspace over the 4". In addition to tie rod clearance issues, the 4" backspace will also allow the left wheel to contact the drag link on a left hand turn. Found that out the hard way. Had a customer that wanted a 15x7 wheel, which at the time was only available in a 4" backspace Japanese truck fitment, instead of the 15x8 Chevrolet 4x4 fitment that had the 3 1/2" backspace. While they did just barely clear the stock tie rods, the wheel did contact the drag link. I went with the 3 1/2" backspace wheel on my virtually identical truck (his was a shortbed, mine is a longbed), I have no clearance problems with either the tie rods or the drag link.
Wheel Viniques should be able to make the wheel with the 3 1/2 backspacing. We just installed a set of wheels from them on a '30 Model A that were custom ordered with a 15x5 up front with 2 1/2" backspace, and 15x10 on the rear with 3 1/2" backspace. They were the only company that would make that combnation, everyone else only had a 4" backspace with a 10" wheel, which would not fir without spacers. They quality was top notch, with very solid welds from the disk to the rim. Runout was very minimal, the wheels themselves were less than 1/4 ounce from true balance.

Last edited by LONGBOX55; 08/31/2011 2:45 AM.

Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 238
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 238
The 15 x 8 Chevy Blazer wheels that Longbox55 mentions work well on these trucks. Here's a picture of them on my truck.

Stuart.

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
Wow your truck looks nice. I will have to figure something out. My wheels are 16" and I just bought new tires. Thanks

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
I'M thinking of trying the 16" rims with the 4" Backspacing also on my 57 GMC.
How did yours turn out?


Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armor.
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
I think they look good. I have not had them rub. I mounted 225/75/16s on them. I will try to post some pictures this week.

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0