The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Frank50, Nick in Manitou, Donf, 1 invisible), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
I just spent hours installing the new windshield glass, gasket, and original garnish molding. The glass phase was fairly uneventful but the molding was a nightmare. After lubing the gasket, I finally had to resort to large C-clamps and wood block scraps to crank the outer corners of the molding into place. I can live with the final product but it didn't meet my expectations appearancewise. The rubber gasket ended up mashed and twisted somewhat in the corners. I would appreciate suggestions on making this project go smoother on my next truck. Thanks!


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Pinetree,did you fit the glass and rubber to the truck and then try to install the chromes?
If so,that's where you went wrong.

The glass,rubber and trims are designed to be installed as a complete assembly.
I would do a 'how to' tech tip for the forum if only I could find a good set of original trims myself!


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
Yes, That's what I did wrong. Although I must say that roping in the glass in the first place was a little tight. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, windshield glass even 1/8" smaller would have gone in a lot easier with chrome trim. Thanks for the feedback!


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
I decided that I couldn't live with the half-assed appearance of this job, so I cut out the sealant smeared gasket and started over. I took the glass back to the glass dealer to have him grind 1/8" off of each edge. He told me that he has seen that the cheap Chinese gaskets sold by many catalog companies are too thick. He said that U.S.-made gaskets by Steele, Danchuk, etc. are pricier but fit properly. He recommended using silicone spray as an installation lubricant and discouraged the use of extra sealant unless water leakage developed in use. Armed with this adsditional info, I'll try again next week after I've accumulated all the necessary supplies. Apparently, new techniques and materials have superceded my 60+ year old shop manual.


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I agree with your glass guy regarding the rubber seal.
From what I've read Steele seems to be the one of choice.
I'll need to get one myself as i have a cheap ROC one and in one word it is cr*p!
My own truck hasn't even been on the road yet and the rubber's showing signs of ageing/cracking already!

If anything I've found the glass from aftermarket suppliers seems to be too small,or badly shaped.
Personally I prefer to use plain old glass cleaner to lubricate the rubber during the install as I'm not a huge fan of silcon based products.
It's neutral,dries without residue,and doesn't/wont cause any additional painting issues in the future. JMO.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
Perhaps the water repellant properties of the silicone are what allows the omission of sealant caulking. Dave


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
Success! The smaller glass panes made a difference. On to the next challenge.


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I love it when a plan comes together......

Good you got 'er done Pinetree. So where's the pics? wink


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 153
Thanks for the support jockbolter50. In all honesty, I do not yet own a digital camera. By choice, I live as much as possible in the middle of the last century. Stovebolt being an exception.


1946 Chevy pickup, 1948 Chevy suburban, 1950 Chevy pickup, 1952 GMC pickup, 1957 Chevy pickup, 1939 Chevy pickup
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by Pinetree
Thanks for the support jockbolter50. In all honesty, I do not yet own a digital camera. By choice, I live as much as possible in the middle of the last century. Stovebolt being an exception.

I'm a bit like you as well Pinetree, I admit though,I have made a few concessions to modern living!
Still hate cell phones though........ grin


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0