Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 2 | Hello all. Does anyone on here know the difference between a 54 and earlier hood? Can't seem to find a vendor for a new 54 hood but everyone lists them for 48-53. I am wonder if it is a minor thing that could be worked out or a major difference. Thanks for the help
Mike | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | I think there will be a difference in the holes where the emblem mounts to the hood, along with how the latch and apron meet the hood. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | I'm not aware of any differences on the hoods. I'm in the process of building a 54 3100, and I've got parts from 51 thru 54. The obvious difference is the grille, fenders and parklamps. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | You are right, Yakima. I've searched around the site and found no difference - other than the '54 hood having dimpled holes where the hood emblem mounts, which shouldn't even be noticeable once the emblem is installed. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | Isn't there a slight difference in the front valance area on the 54/55 1st? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | David describes the major difference. The earlier years also had two emblems on each side, so they would have extra holes on the side.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 |
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 145 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 145 | Denny On the blue truck is there evidence of blue paint in the chev logo? I am wondering if mine had paint in it to begin with. Murray | | | | | Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 21 | My 1954 3100 Has faded blue paint in the bowtie but only in the bowtie, none anywhere else. I believe it to be the original hood emblem | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | Tim, my 54 chrome grille came originally with white letters. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Sorry Murray, all of the paint has been polished off years ago. Best to go with what Tim has posted.
DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I agree, Greg,
I put white letters on my 1954 chrome grill (that has white color on the inner part of the grill bars).
Since black was the inner grill color on 1955-1st white painted-hoods, I think the black letters might have been used on 1955-1st grills (painted grills, maybe).
Nonetheless, I like the black lettering with the yellow bottom-color paint that I will use on the 54 truck I am restoring. Most likely, I'll use the blue & red with black letters on that chrome grill.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 2 | Thanks all for the replys. You have been very helpful.
Mike | | |
| |