Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 18 | I have a '54 3600. I am swapping out the 4.56 pumpkin with a 4.11 setup that I found. I also plan on adding a T5. My question is, can I keep the carrier bearing and just replace the front torque tube ds to the bearing or should I have a whole new solid ds made and get rid of the carrier bearing? What are the advantages/disadvantages of keeping the carrier bearing? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 | The carrier is used to keep the length of the driveshaft down to manageable distance. Long shafts tend to have balance and U-joint problems. If you've got a relatively short wheelbase, a 1-piece shaft shouldn't present much of a problem, especially if the T-5 is longer than the original transmission. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 18 | It is a long bed 3600. The T5 is a bit longer than the SM420. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | There are quite a few 3/4 tons around that went to a one piece drive shaft. However, a drive shaft that long has to be straight and well balanced. I personally prefer to keep the center bearing and then keep the original rear drive shaft. You will have to have a short shaft made to fit the yoke on your transmission and then have a center bearing pressed on the other end and a yoke to match your rear shaft. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | A 1 piece driveshaft will be fine. The bigger question is if the t5 is strong enough for a 3/4 ton truck. It will probably be fine if you have a tired 235 and don't plan to work it to hard or tow trailers. If you intend to haul loads, a stronger transmission such as the A833 or NV4500 would be advisable. You could probably get 6 T5 transmissions for the price of 1 NV4500, so only you can determine what is right for your truck and your wallet. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | A T5 was never meant to be a truck transmission if you intend to haul stuff. However, it will be fine behind a 6 cylinder if you just plan on using the vehicle for transportation. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 | Why not lose the carrier bearing and replace it with a 3 speed auxiliary transmission and keep the sm420. Around here a auxiliary tranny can be picked up for a lot less money than a t5, and the extra lever in the floor realy looks cool. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I thought about the T5 in my 3/4 ton also, but scrapped the idea for the reasons, these guys state. I'm gonna go with a later model rearend with a 3.73 or 3.55 ratio and a 4 speed. The granny low will help you get going if the need be, and the higher gears will more than make up for the RPMs vs. an overdrive trans. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 18 | Ttodd How does the 3 speed auxiliary tranny setup work?
Whitedog If you are swapping to a 3.73 or 3.55 you must be going to a 5 lug setup correct? Are you also swapping to a 5 lug front axle or staying with the 8 lug? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | No, I've been crawling around junkyards with a tape measure. A Dana 60 from a Dodge van and Ford van will work just fine. I've also seen other members use a 14 bolt, I have yet to find one. I was thinking about swapping out the whole undercarriage with that of a 1/2 truck also. The more I think about, I'm leaning more on staying with the 8 lugs and living with the drum brakes. | | |
| |