The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
I want Bendex brakes. I have a 41 1/2 ton. I just got done removing the rivets that hold on the backing plates to the rear end. I got me a '55 1/2 ton rear end that I'm gonna put those backing plates onto my '41 so I can have bendex brakes. It's kinda late to ask now, but does any one see a problem with what I'm doing?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Yeah, why didn't you just use the entire 55 rear end? Was it because of lug spacing? headscratch


~Jim
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
The '55 has a total wheel base that is too wide for me.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
Bump. I need an answer, thanks.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
You may run into different offsets with drums and backing plates and possibly need to space something out or in to get the new drum to sit even with the axle flange. I am just speculating and don't have direct experience with your application, but those are some issues I've run into with rear brakes on medium duty trucks.

Let us know how you make out.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I don't know about doing a '41, but I did a '50 without much problem. Did resize some mounting holes to a larger diameter. The main thing is to make sure size will fit the rest of whatever you are planning on using such as drum diameter and width,wheels,spacing.


Drew
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
Thanks for the heads up. If it don't work out I guess I'll be posting into the "stovebolt blunders" thread.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0