The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gray_Ghost, DadsFirstPickup, 53 green 1- ton), 51 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Q
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Q Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Hi...
I'm having a problem I don't know how to solve...
The gas gauge in my '60 c10 was pinned past full.

I tested the connections between the gauge and float and it shows continuity.
I have a new float to install, and to test the gauge.
I also have a new gauge from bowtie bits to replace the original gauge.

I took out the old gauge and moved the indicator to it's unpowered "rest" position.

When hooked to the float unit for testing, neither gauge will go above "empty" When power is supplied to the gauge, it only jumps to Empty and stops. When the float is moved up or down, the gauge just stays on empty.

The original gauge number is 5643018 and the new gauge number is 564454. They look identical but could this be the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy QuestarNLinda, how did you ground the gauge and sending unit for your out of vehicle test?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Q
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Q Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Hi,
I grounded the sending unit... Where is the ground on the gauge??

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Q
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Q Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Ok... I did more testing and tried grounding both the gauge (brass dot between hot and sender contacts) as well as the sender but nothing changed. I did find that that if I ground the gauges "wound coil" near the "sender unit" connector (not the "hot-side coil")... the gauge works correctly and follows the sender units E /F instructions.

I also found that the wound "thing" on the lower back of the gauge gets very warm. Is this a heat sink?

Will the gauge work when installed without shorting the coil?

Why does the coil need shorting to ground?

Is there something wrong with the coil? HELP!!!

These conditions are the same on both the original gauge as well as the replacement gauge.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
QuestarNLinda, How I grounded my gauge after I already had it in the cluster was before mounting the whole cluster was just take a separate wire with alligator clip on both ends and clip it to the cluster and the other end of the wire to a bolt on the pickup. As long as you got a gound for it.


Billy N

51 Chevy 1/2 Ton, 235 6 Cyl. Deluxe 5 Window, 3 on the Tree,Converted to 12 Volt

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/rooster43095/Billy%20N%2051%20Chevy%20Pickup/
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Q
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Q Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Thanks for the tip Billy N.

I did more testing and tried grounding both the gauge (brass dot between "hot" and "sender" contacts) as well as the sender but nothing changed. I did find that that if I ground the gauges "wound coil" near the "sender unit" connector (not at the "hot-side coil")... the gauge works correctly and follows the sender units E /F instructions.

I also found that the wound "thing" on the lower back of the gauge gets very warm. Is this a heat sink?

Will the gauge work when installed without shorting the coil?

Why does the coil need shorting to ground?

Is there something wrong with the coil? HELP!!!

These conditions are the same on both the original gauge as well as the replacement gauge.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
You wont have to provide a seperate gound once you install the entire cluster into the dash because once you install the entire cluster, it will be grounded by the mounting bolts and nuts when you have it tightened up into the dash. FYI, I have received a slight tingle from not grounding it good when I was just testing it. Thats when I then used a separate wire with the alligator clips.
As far as the winding on coil, I would think this is normal for it to get warm since the voltage is going to that winding coil. I wish I knew for sure but thats my feeling bout that unless someone else on this forum has a better answer.


Billy N

51 Chevy 1/2 Ton, 235 6 Cyl. Deluxe 5 Window, 3 on the Tree,Converted to 12 Volt

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/rooster43095/Billy%20N%2051%20Chevy%20Pickup/
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy QuestarNLinda, as BillyN said you won't have to provide a separate ground once you install the entire cluster. When you are testing outside the vehicle you will have to provide ground circuits to both the sending unit and the gauge. The gauge functions by the varying "strengths" of the two electromagnets on the back of the gauge unit. When the fuel tank is full one electromagnet is stronger than the other, and your gauge reads full, as the fuel level lowers the strength of one electomagnet diminishes and the reading lowers on the gauge, hope that helps.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Q
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Q Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 43
Thanks... I'm installing today so I'll keep ya posted!


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0