Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,417 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 | Hey Guys, Need some help/ advice with what I thought was going to be a simple install of a plastic fan shroud from Brothers for my 1957 that has a 350 in it. The first is with installing it. I pulled the upper hose, let it drain and realized there was no way this shroud would slip between the radiator and the fan [about 2" clearance], so I have pulled the fan and space. Still not enough room as the forward edge of the water pump is interfering [about 5" clearance]. Second, is even if I could slip the shroud down in, the fan is gonna sit way forward and I am wondering how to get the fan assembly back on. Is there a different water pump I should be looking at? Help..... http://www.brotherstrucks.com/techa...=1955-1959%20FAN%20SHROUD%20INSTALLATION
Last edited by 57 vroom vroom; 08/07/2011 4:29 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | To work properly, a fan shroud should only cover half the depth of the blade. The fan hub should align with the back of the shroud, so the blade is running half in and half out of the shroud. Any other position will result in less airflow through the radiator than if the shroud was not installed. Either install a water pump with a shaft length to position the fan in the right place, or modify the shroud mount so the back end of the shroud is positioned correctly. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | was your truck an original V8? [leading 'V' on the vin] if so, the rad may be mounted in the rearward position, and the aftermarket shroud won't work - and if so you should be able to get the fan within a 1/2" of the rad with a spacer and not need a shroud - otherwise you might have to make your own shroud .... here's the plastic shroud [also next pic] I put on a '56 with a 350, positioned as HRL describes, it required a spacer on the fan shaft and was installed just by removing the fan first Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 | Thanks for the quick responses...
The truck was not originally a V8, but is there a way of telling if the rad/ support is from a V8?
So maybe I need to look at a shorter water pump and/or remove the existing spacer that I have on the fan right now? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | the rad supports don't vary, but for the V8 it was mounted further back - I can't quite tell, but from this pic it does look like the rad is mounted further back than the 6 cyl position, which is about an inch behind the latch support cross bar ... the '56 is stored here so I got a pic for ya, the V8 mount points have a triangular reinforcing piece on the outside of the inner fender and the latch cross bar is moved back to there .... not sure you could get a water pump that would fix things if your rad was moved, but some measuring should figure out what's possible Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | remembered I had a pic of the original V8 arrangement added hereBill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,082 | i have that same shroud on my 57. i split it at the bottom and then bolted it together once installed. i had to trim around the alternator. my fan also was too far in the shroud, didnt notice any difference in engine temp, but i wanted it to keep my fingers safe when tinkering while engine is running.
leonard | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 | Hey guys,
Snapped a few picutres that I posted to photobucket of the radiator and the clearance to the latch support as well as the water pump. Looks like removing the spacer from behind the fan will help the situation.
Two quick questions:
1. What should the the fore/aft position of the fan blade to the rear edge of the shroud? 2. What should be the max clearance between the fan diameter and that of the shroud?
@RATRODD: Can I find a pic of how you cut and bolted your shroud? Anything you would do different second time around?
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | the rad is in the factory 6cyl location, and it looks to me like the shroud should clear the fan hub for installation .... and if there was a spacer that got the fan a lot closer to the rad, yes it needs to go, the fan blades should be centered on the edge of the shroud opening and the dia of the blades should be as close as possible to the size of the opening
Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 | Hey guys, any concern with going down to a 17" fan that will fit in the shroud [the opening is 18" and my existing fan is 19 1/2"]? And.... any idea what model car/ truck I need to say I have so they can 'look it up' at the parts store since they seem to not be able to cross reference anything....
And given that I will need a diff diameter than what I am using how to determine the 'best'? I have read the more blades the better, but what about how deep they are?
I am just a litte leary of going from this big fan to smaller one and defeating the supposed benefit of a shroud...
Last edited by 57 vroom vroom; 08/13/2011 11:23 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 | The smaller fan properly installed in the shroud should move more air than the larger with no shroud. I dont know about number of blades, but the "pitch" of the blades will make a difference on air movement. More pitch, more flow.
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."
1957 GMC 150
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 122 | Ok, not to beat a dead horse, but wanting to make sure I don't end up tossing out a $85 shroud should:
- I just buy a 17" fan and let it go at that? If so a flex fan from like AutoZone?
- Modify the shroud by cutting off material so that an 18" fan fits? If so, a flex fan or is there a benfit to finding an old OEM fan?
- Modify the shroud by cutting off even more material and making the 19 1/2" fan work?
Appreciate everyones patients with me on this!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | there is no benefit finding an "old OEM fan" to fit a later engine in a modified truck - I'd find a fan that fits the opening - this one is some generic cheapo from a FLAPS, required no modification to fit perfectly, and works fine Bill | | |
| |