The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (jmoore, DaveV, KEVINSKI, Youngin' Tut 59), 129 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,681
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#767563 08/01/2011 9:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
im lookin to ship a 46 2 ton. dont have specs of the rear tires and i need to tell the shipper to see if it'll fit on their trailer. anyone know off the top of their head?

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
correction, the total width of the rear axle

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
It will fit any normal trailer that is made for the weight. If the outer tire/wheels are removed it will fit between the fenders so it should not be a problem at all.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 14

I just looked it up. A two-ton will be 79-9/32 inches from outside wheel tread to outside wheel tread.

I didn't know about this resource until I joined Stovebolt, but it's great, check it out:

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/docs/Chevrolet-Trucks/1946-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf



Jake

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
79 and 9/32"?
Jake
You must be a Machinist to even know what 79.28125 Thousands is!
Money Pit speaks the truth and watch the weight to trailer, tow vehicle hauling capacity.
Round it up to 79 and ½ inches and you will be fine as long as the tow vehicle and trailer are rated for the weight to carry a 6,000 + pound truck.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 184
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 184
The 79 9/32" is the center to center width of the outside dual. My '46 1.5ton measures about 86 1/2" outside-outside of the duals. A 1.5/2 ton truck will not have the duals sitting fully on the bed unless it is a deck-over trailer. The front wheels should fit between the fenders, but the outside duals will not. As mentioned, the outside wheels could be removed to make the rear narrower.

That is a really good resource though. I had come across the site awhile ago, but had forgotten about it.

Tad


1946 Chevy OS 1.5ton, 1955 GMC 3100, along with other various IH,Ford,Nash,MGB,.....
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
When I brought home my big bolt I hauled it on a trailer that had the fenders sticking up on each side. The outside dual on each side rested on the fender. This proved handy as I chained the front down first, snugging the rear up against the fenders, I then chained the rear. I probably didn't need it but it was reassuring knowing the rear was somewhat chocked against the trailer and couldn't walk around on the deck.


1947, 1950, & 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 450 series Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2 Ton

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0