The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (baldeagle, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
I need to replace (or rebuild) my 3 speed column shift for my '51. I found a guy who was scrapping 4 column shift transmissions. When he sent me the pic, only Transmission #1 will work. I think the other three are car transmissions.
All 4 transmissions in 1 pic.

I know its a lot to put in one post but I don't know anything about transmissions.

I want to gut one or two to rebuild mine so I can limit the purchase of all new parts.

My transmission serial number pics.
Shifter cover serial number
Transmission serial

3 questions:
#1 - Will Transmission #1 work for my truck?

#2 - Are the internals in all 4 the same? (so I have 4 to sacrifice into one?)

#3 - How do I understand the transmission serial number coding? Or does it matter with what is here?

Here is what the guy sent me.

Transmission #1 - 10 spline input 10 spline out casting #3886932 GM stamped # G O 84498

I'm pretty sure these are car transmissions...
Transmission #2 - 10 spline input yoke on output casting # GM 30 591814
Transmission #3 - 10 spline input yoke on output casting # GM 17 591747
Transmission #4 - 10 sline input heaver input shaft than others yoke on output casting #GM 7 591747




Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The one on the right is the only one that looks like it will fit. There are variations in the side covers & shafts. You can use your old side cover iuf nessesary. If the other one feels good & turns good I think I would just put it in & try it. Used manual trans. are usually good.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
The one on the right will work as it's the same as mine.

Does anyone know if the gears etc inside the car transmissions can replace those in the truck transmission?

Last edited by Lode51; 07/29/2011 3:37 AM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I'm pretty sure that transmissions 2-4 are pre 47 gear boxes based on the trans to bellhousing bolt pattern. They could be truck or car. It would be a crap shoot that the internal parts are the same.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
If you have casting numbers of the case, you can find what interchanges in a Hollander, but its a tedious job.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
The internals are not the same for car and truck.
The main difference is the counter shaft in a car trans uses a bushing and the truck needle bearing so they will not interchange. The rear bushing and housing are different as well. The gear ratios are different so most of the gears will not work. I think the syncro slider will interchange but not positive.

I have several good truck 3 speeds and have in the past gutted a trans and shipped just the internals in a flat rate USPS box. If your stuck for parts let me know and I'll check out what I have.



Dave Chapman
The Hollister Road Company
713-937-0387
[email protected]
www.hollisterroad.com
www.thoroco.com

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0