The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#764289 07/21/2011 6:26 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 368
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 368
Members:
I just got a Jaunita on the road...went to the gas station and filled her up. Wanted to check gas gauge anyway. Gauge worked great.
When I got in the Truck today I had a strong gas smell( windows were down ). Did I fill it up to much? I could not find a leak. It was very warm today at least 85. did it expand and getting vapors escaping from rubber connection hose ?
Any Ideas please feel free to chime in.
Thanks


1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

"True victory is victory over one's self."
Krav Maga isn't pretty ... but it works just fine.


Jimmi V.
Jimmi_V #764291 07/21/2011 6:40 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
fumes most likely vented through the cap and drifted into the cab.My truck will do this.

BC52 #764300 07/21/2011 11:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Jimmi, if you topped it off right before you parked it then you may have guessed correctly, she definitely overflowed on you. The fuel fresh from an underground tank can be as low as 55° if it's been in the tanks for a while. Made that mistake on the first fill up and there after always made a point of driving 15 or 20 miles before shutting her down and letting her sit.
It is possible that your connector hose is dried out and some is seeping out there but you should see that after a fill up. Another spot that often generates fumes is the gas gauge gasket. I've had mine '50 parked in a garage attached to the kitchen with the kitchen door open for nearly two years now. It had a half tank of petrol in it when I parked it with the stock vented gas cap and I taint smelled a thing, since I put her there. And believe me when I say, my “big old wife” would have taken the frying pan to me if it were stinkin’ up her kitchen!
And before someone pipes up, let me say yesssss, I know that it's not a good idea to leave it in storage with, some say full, some say empty so I just left it half full to satisfy everybody. And no, I'm not going to start it back up with that two year old gas in her tank.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 07/21/2011 11:47 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Check your gas cap. The seal in it is probably bad.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Jimmi V.

I had the same issue - found my new (cheaply made) gas cap would not allow the vapor to vent out of the cap. Has to disassemble the dang thing and clean up plastic over castings to get the vent to work properly, in this case I hade a lot of tank presure and it was forcing fumes back tru the intermediate rubber tube and the metal fitting of the tank. Fixed that issue - still had strong fumes...

Found that the rubber grommet that insulates the filler tube from the truck was again made poorly and there is a bit of a gap around the filler neck, so now when the cap vents ... go to love this... the fumes are directed directly at the gap and fill the cab real nice.

Well - only fix is to find someone who has a decent filler neck grommet - in the mean time I filled the gap from the backside with some clear silicone - stops the fumes and is not so visable.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
That rubber connecting hose between the neck and tank may need replacing; my '49 smelled and a new hose fixed it. Make sure it is FUEL hose (which is sold by the inch,) and not radiator hose, which I've seen many times!


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!
40casey #766062 07/27/2011 5:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Mine is doing the exact same thing when I fill it up. Quite certain it is the filler neck hose. Going to replace it soon.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
cmayna #766195 07/28/2011 12:22 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
All trucks will overflow if parked where the gas cap is "downhill". The overflow will also remove all the paint if left only for a few minutes. With the gas tank behind you in the cab you will always smell gas if you overfill when taking on gas . Try not to overfill-stop when the pump cuts off the first time. Make sure the gauge gasket isn't leaking-even a new gasket leaks if not properly installed. Hope this helps.


Green Machine
Edabbs #769445 08/07/2011 10:54 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 16
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 16
My 61 has that strong gas smell too. It doesn't last long after fill up. Now I know... have to check that filter neck hose.

Jimmi_V #769545 08/08/2011 5:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 75
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 75
My '49 gets a gas smell in the cab when the tank is near full also. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but I finally did. I had pulled the seat back out and looked all around the tank and filler, trying to find a leak, with no success. Finally, I filled the tank and rocked the truck from side to side, while watching the tank. Sure enough, a wet spot started spreading out from under one of the mounting straps. It turns out that my tank has a small crack on top, directly under that steel strap. You might give the full tank/rocking test a try, it worked for me.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0