| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Peggy M),
169
guests, and
5
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,214 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 1 | I've had my 68 Chevy SWB Truck for 27 years. 15 years ago I rebuilt my truck and used treated wood for the bed. I've seen no negative ramifications since doing so. I've read some of the other posts about the best methods of preservation for untreated oak or pine wood, and also seen a few glancing cautions against using treated wood. Now, I'm doing another restoration and am considering the wood to use. Is treated wood really not a good idea? Are there others that have used treated wood and found either positive or negative results? I'm doing this restoration with an eye for originality, but I also plan to use the truck as a semi-regular driver, so I have no issues with disposing with originality if it means that the truck will last longer or perform better. Any thoughts?
Joe 936/676-9050 '68 Chevy SWB, Stepside, 6cyl, Truck
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | Do an internet search. I punched in 'treated lumber corrosion' and found lots of info. In 2003 CCA treated lumber was replaced by ACQ treated lumber, this newer treated lumber is far more corrosive than the old stuff. It's also more corrosive to aluminum and steel the more it is expoed to moisture. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 201 | And I believe ACQ has been replaced itself, with something less corrosive, MCA. If he's doing a thorough job of finishing it with poly, it's unlikely to be an issue without direct contact. Plus if he uses stainless hardware, even the ACQ shouldn't be a problem for many, many years.
'69 1/2T stepside, Sea Foam Green, 250 L6 w/ 3 on the tree, not an option on it, in the family since new.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Our local Lowes Home improvement has 1" X 5.5" x 6' composite decking at $2 each. Why not? lasts a long time!!!!!! Don't know if it can take a "rabbit" cut.
Last edited by bartamos; 07/19/2011 4:03 AM.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: May 2011 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2011 Posts: 35 | One issue you might have with treated lumber is that it could still be "wet" from the treatment. Once it completely dries out, it will shrink which can be a problem if you drilled and installed it wet. If I were going through the trouble of doing another restoration, I would put in a better grade of wood and use a bed mat if I was hauling anything.
Just my opinion.
1952 3100
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Many times wood you buy is "green" to an extent and could twist, curl and shrink a bit. Be careful where you buy your wood. Check with MarK in Oklahoma City. They sell the wood ready-cut for your truck. They may be a bit pricey but you can count on it being kiln dried. I've had too much of Home Depot wood twist and curve on me to trust it for my truck.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | I wanted yellow pine for my bed so I looked in the yellow pages and found lumberyards that had been in business for many years. I found one near Mockingbird and Greenville road in Dallas. They had old yellow pine that was 'kiln dried' by many years in the Dallas summer heat. They allowed me to pick through the boards for straight ones. These boards made a fine bed that didn't twist or buckle.
The 'big box' stores buy and sell quick and in quantity. Maybe that is why it is wet and not dried.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Here is a link to an interesting discussion on treated wood ....link.... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 54 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 54 | i'm guessing about fiftten years ago i removed all the origional wood and the two additional layers of plywood in the back of my truck. replaced them with pine 2x4's. so far soo good.
Last edited by Stuman; 07/20/2011 4:27 AM.
Yes, officer it's licensed.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 |
~Jim
| | |
| |
| |