The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phak1, Shade Baby), 71 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#763048 07/16/2011 6:02 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
Have a 41 Chevy truck 3 speed shortbed and only get 42 miles an hour out of it. Would like to get it to 50 or 55. Would I be better off to change the tranny to a 4 speed or change to a 3.55 rear? Thinking the rear end now is a 4.11. Have people tell me both. Thanks

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
bass - with a 4 speed you get more slow speed pulling power [lower 1st gear], doesn't do anything for top speed, any standard trans has a 1:1 top gear - an overdrive would get it to about 0.7:1 if you can work that out .... not sure you'll find a 3.55 gearset to fit your rear, so you'd need to find a complete rear that could be made to fit the truck that has a better highway ratio .... of course the 216 isn't the strongest engine so you don't want to be pushing it wink

if you haven't found it yet, the old manual site might help

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
Even with the 4.11 you should be able to get to 50MPH ,I ran the 216 with a 4.11 and could do 50 to 55 all day long.Check out you're engine maybe it needs a rebuild .


Pete

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The easiest way to gear it up a little is to get a 3.55 ring & pinion from a 50-54 powerglide car. A 5-speed from a S-10 is a good way to go but you still have to change the rear end to get an open drive shaft.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
George - will the car rear gears work in the '41 rear?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
Everyone,
So, after reading everything. I think what everyone is saying is If I can get the ring and pinion gear that would be the way to go. Am I correct?? I have found them but they cost about $450.00. BASS7

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Originally Posted by squeeze
George - will the car rear gears work in the '41 rear?

Bill
Yes. The car gears fit the 46 on back truck rear ends.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
bass7 #763100 07/16/2011 11:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Originally Posted by bass7
Everyone,
So, after reading everything. I think what everyone is saying is If I can get the ring and pinion gear that would be the way to go. Am I correct?? I have found them but they cost about $450.00. BASS7
If the ones you have located are in a parts catalog they are not the right ones. The ones that fit the older trucks are from powerglide cars & would have to be gotten from a salvage.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
When I go to the salvage yard what would I ask for (ring & pinion gear)? And I don't understand why the ones in a catalog won't work. Will it have 3.55 stamped on them? Is there a way I will know that they fit and if they fit my 41?
BASS7 (George)

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
patricks gears are for 37-54 1/2 ton trucks and if you want the 3:55 gears they will cost you $450, not to mention the $350 or so you will need to spend on new bearings, shims etc. to complete the job. It does indeed seem like a lot of money when you can get gears for a modern car for $100 or so. But unless you can get rickmg to tell us where he got his gears made you really have no other option. That is assuming of course you want to keep the torque tube. If you don't mind butchering your truck you can use a variety of open drive lines/rearends, none of which I know any specifics as I have no interest in them. but if you go to the hot rod forum this is a fairly popular topic

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
Thanks for the replys. I was told that this is the best board on the net and it is.
I really don't have $1200.00 to spend on the gears, bearings and shims and some labor that I need so guess I will drive along at 42 miles for awhile.
Thanks again
George

bass7 #763192 07/17/2011 11:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Before you give up, what size tires are you running? I run tall 16" on my 1 Ton with the 4.10 rearend and 60 mph is not a problem.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
This is a no brainer,change out your rearend to a better ratio,maybe a 3;42 or something even higher.A tranny aint gonna do you any good,cause most of them are 1 to 1 ratio going to the rear.The only exception would be an overdriove unit,which would be somewhere around .78 to 1 going to the final drive.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by brokenhead
If you don't mind butchering your truck...
headscratch dang

I'd swap rear gears for something more along the lines of a 3:73, this should be a good compromise gear.

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 07/17/2011 1:32 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
If your going to use the original 216 I'd be cautious of a 3:55. The truck could turn into a miserable machine, underpowered. As mentioned a 3:73 or 3:90 may be better.
Good Luck
Don

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
George, any opinions concerning whether or not your 216 can pull 3.55 gears are pure guesswork unless they are from somebody who has actually made that conversion.

I converted my '36 Chevy pickup from 4.11 to 3.55 gears and I'd by glad to describe how that worked out for me if you're interested. The '36 engine is even more anemic, 207 cubic inches.

The actual conversion is in an article with a lot of pictures of the machining and welding on the 1936 Chevy Owners forum.

my email is [email protected]


Ray
yar #763420 07/18/2011 3:17 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
the only problem with 3:72 or 3:90 gears would be the only other option is 3:55 gears if you want to keep the torque tube, thats all there is. 3:72, or 3:90 gears don't exist. unless of course you can get rickmg to tell any of us where he got a special set made that is your only choice.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I was wrong on the power glide rear gears. The catalogs show the 355 aftermarket gears fitting 37-54. The power glide gears must fit just the cars.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0