The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gray_Ghost, Nick in Manitou, Gdads51, Jon G, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, walter74, LAROKE, 2 invisible), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,372
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
I was about to drill my 261 block for a full flow oil set up and I have a question.

In step 2 here

I'm trying to figure out if this is just a return line to the pan or if I am drilling and tapping into a passage. It looks to me like its just a return line. If that's the case why does it have to be in that specific location? seems like it could be anywhere as long as it dumps into the pan...

Since this is an early 261 I know I need to restrict the oil flow a little... I'm not sure why exactly and how much restriction (psi) I'm Looking at so shed some light here for me.. I'm in the dark...

2) casting numbers (3733950) say this block is a 54-56 261 but the casting date code(K197) says it was made in November of 57? does that make sense?

Thanks folks!

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
Jeremy this site shows your 261 as being from 54-57... Some of the others only list it as 54-55...


Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I heard from a usually reliable source those engines were built as replacement engines for several years after the last one left the factory in a '55.1 truck. That accounts for the later casting date.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
Well, I'd heard they seasoned the blocks but wasn't sure how long they sat.
It still amazes me that you could cast something 50 years ago that is that big and intricate and expect it to:
1- withstand heat and pressure for extended periods of time
2- maintain some level of tolerances so that it could be precisely machined
3- barring the above makes a he'll of an anchor!

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
So does the casting date affect your original question? Is there something about an early block that prevents the conversion?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Which type of water pump passage does it have?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
Originally Posted by lostmy47
I'm trying to figure out if this is just a return line to the pan or if I am drilling and tapping into a passage. It looks to me like its just a return line.

The whole reason for doing this modification is to convert the engine from "bypass" filtering to full oil flow, where all the oil going to the bearings is filtered before getting from the oil pump to the engine. That's why the first operation described involves plugging the original oil passageway. The second hole, the one that's drilled and tapped from scratch, is where the oil goes that's supplying the main bearings, so yes, its location is critical. You're taking all the oil pump output, and routing it through the filter, then putting it back into the block to supply oil to the bearings. NO restriction is needed, and a filter capable of carrying the full output of the oil pump without dropping pressure excessively will need to be used. The original bypass type filter WILL NOT work after the modification is made- - - -you'll need to fit an aftermarket remote filter mount set up for a spin-on filter. I prefer to use an adapter with a bypass valve built in, in case the filter gets clogged enough to start affecting oil pressure. Most bypass valves work anytime there's a 5-7 PSI drop across the filter media, routing oil past the filter anytime it gets clogged. The third hole that's described in the tech tip is the new connection point for the oil pressure gauge line, downstream of the filter.

Later-model 261 engines, the ones with the 1/2" NPT oil line ports, are set up for full-flow filtering from the factory, and MUST be used with this type of filter, or a 1/2" flex line needs to be connected between the ports to prevent the bearings from being starved for oil if the filter is not used.

Follow the tech tip instructions to the letter- - - -they're all there for a reason!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
Jerry-
Thanks, I missed the part where the hole is drilled into the oil pump passage.
When I made the notes on the block I had the block upside down on the head surface. I made the mark on the wrong side of the oil drain for the bypass filter.
When I "flipped" the block onto it's pan surface, I looked at the photos and realized I'd mis marked the drill spot.
That's how I got confused since I couldn't see the oil pump outlet any more....

It may seem obvious now, but i'm certain it's not as clear as all of the folks who have been around these motors for years think.

Thanks again,

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
It has the high water pump with the two large holes.
No, nothing about the date of the block keeps me from doing the conversion.
I wa just concerned about the oil being able to to bypass the filter if something happened.
HRL explained it so now I can drill everything and drop it off to be bored this evening.

Wow... Maybe I can get my engine together this weekend!

Thanks, all

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
I have really pondered this modification also. My 54 235 originally came ith no filter at all so I was real proud of myself when I "stepped up" and added the Fram style bypass filter. I have been told that these engines were designed to be work horses and it was common practice to overhaul them "in the field by installing new rings and bearings with no reat attention paid to the environment. Of course, life expectancy was less back then also as was the metal technology standards.

So I don't know whether to drill my 54 261 block and try to figure out what to do with the remote oil filter, or to just keep my same old bypass filter and plan on more frequent oil changes. In my days of stupid youth, I must have had money to burn and certainly more than brains because it was common practice to change oil every weekend. What a maroon huh?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
I'd suggest running both styles of filter, like the big Cummins and Detroit engines do. There's a full-flow filter to strain out the big stuff such as rocks, marbles, and railroad ties, and the bypass filter has a much finer-mesh filter element and strains the tiny particles out that the full flow filter can't trap due to the volume of oil through it. The bypass filter has a restrictor that slows down the flow and dumps the oil right back into the pan, without having to flow enough oil to keep the bearings lubricated. The Frantz-type filter that uses a roll of toilet paper for a filter element is a perfect example of a bypass filter that traps even microscopic particles of dirt.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Thanks for the explanation. Now I have more understanding and it will come in handy if I ever use one of these 261s.

On a note about engine life: I picked up some old Popular Mechaincs magazines at a flea market and one is from 1955. One of the articles has hints on how to take special care of the engine so that you can get the expected 50,000 miles and even beyond out of it before it starts to burn more than 1 quart in 200 miles!!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0