The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (R&S 51 GMC, Tiny), 152 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#756275 06/21/2011 6:11 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Not sure where to post this. I've always wanted to rebody a newish truck chasis with a vintage body and among other things, use it as a tow vehicle. Seems I am soon to be getting a donated 3/4 ton '94 GMC Suburban in excellent condition and want to rebody it with an old panel or Suburban. (Haven't aquired the vintage truck yet). Has anyone done such a conversion and have some suggestions for what might be the best fit, etc? I like the pre-advance design panels (art deco?)and the 58/59 Suburbans.

Last edited by orchidskip; 06/21/2011 6:13 AM. Reason: typo
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 104
5
Jack of all trades and a Master of None!
Jack of all trades and a Master of None!
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 104
I am in the process of getting the needed parts for such a swap. Here is a link to my thread.

Frame Swap


My57Suburban

This is the slickest swap I have seen for trucks
EZChassisSwap.com
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I did this with a 56GMC Suburban, see my pics in gallery. Used the body AND the frame. This is much easier and a better fit for many components. Mine was done 4X4 also. Restomod.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Bartamos, Your pix are not found when I click on the link. REally like to see pix of your project. Looks like just what I had in mind and more.

I'm going to be stuck using the "new" GMC Suburban as the platform for the project as I simply don't have a budget to acquire anything else and it is going to be free. I'm told it runs well and has about 130k miles on it. Was used for family vacations to tow a travel trailer and has been sitting for some years. They just found the title so it shouldn't be long before it's in my hands. Then the fun begins. I'll assess its condition and take some vital statistics, then search for the right vintage body. If I have to shorten the frame then so be it. Shouldn't be too hard to roll the rear end forward and shorten the drive shaft. Of course I know that is a rediculous statement. It's never easy. Anyways, I welcome any ideas/thoughts/opinions/suggestions/criticism/useless blather.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I clicked on the post just above yours (my post) "1956 GMC Carryall 4 X 4" and it took me to my truck pic.??? Don't know why you can't get there.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 104
5
Jack of all trades and a Master of None!
Jack of all trades and a Master of None!
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 104
I would recommend cutting the frame in the middle in a step pattern and moving everything inward. By doing it this way, you keep all stock suspension locations. It is much easier to relocate body mounts versus trying to figure out suspension geometry.

here is a picture of what i mean

Picture of the frame cut

Last edited by 57Sub3100; 06/22/2011 7:59 PM.

My57Suburban

This is the slickest swap I have seen for trucks
EZChassisSwap.com
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Bartamos, It's the link to your photobucket pix after you click on the link to your stovebolt write up.
'57 Sub,
That's pretty much what I had in mind. When I was just out of high school I worked in a truck shop where we lengthened and shortened the frames of large trucks. We might shorten a frame for a smaller box on a bobtail or stretch a frame on a tractor depending on what was needed. We'd drill and bolt up a channel inside the frame and then weld the seam. Very strong. I emailed the company at EZchasisswap and they email me back. They don't have a kit but invited me to call for a chat. I think I just might do that. Thanks for the tip.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0