The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wally / Montana, BCBill, Gdads51, 66flea, Rusted Nut), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,176
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
I have a '61 c20, and I just scanned all the posts on the "Paint Factory Colors" thread. I didn't see anything about where to find the paint code.

The firewall is seafoam green, and I'm just hoping that the Forest Service owned the truck at some point. I'd like to go back to original, BUT I can't stand that color. grin LOL, so I might have to go with another.

Is it a big restoration "no-no" to paint an originally available color, even if it isn't what your truck came with?

Thoughts, ideas??

Last edited by Husker; 06/17/2011 7:56 PM. Reason: typo
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Husker,

What is your paint code? 703A or 731?

Here are 1961 Chevrolet truck paint codes and some chips. Additional chips can be found by following the arrows backwards into 1960.

Neptune Green is the 1960/1961 name that might be what you are looking for?

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Tclederman, how do I find the paint code? Where is it? Thanks for the reply.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

If my answer below is not helpful, I strongly suggest you post this question in the 60-66 forum. My original reply was to help find the paint formula code. I have no first-hand idea where to find the Trim code or Paint code on a 1961 Chevrolet C20 truck.

However, do you have a Shop Manual for your truck? My guess is that it would be a 1960 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual and a 1961 Truck Shop Manual Supplement.

In the 1960 Manual, on page 1-5 is an illustration of the Vehicle Identification Plate, which is installed on the left inner cowl. That is: the side panel above the floorboard on the driver's side of the cab (I'll post a photo of the location, if you want). The Trim Code and Paint code are near the bottom of that plate (I'll post a photo of the plate, if you want).

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Okay, thank you. I found that tag, but it has me confused. headscratch

Paint: STD
Trim: SPEC

Any idea what that means?!

Thanks!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Husker,

Go into the 60-66 forum and get advice from the experts.

My lame guess is that STD is the standard color for that year and SPEC refers to "Special". The 60-66 members will most likely be able to quickly clear this up.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
I'm going to try to figure out how to move this topic to the 60-66 Forum.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0