The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#753728 06/11/2011 4:29 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
I am about to send my '51 3100 out for paint. I can find the codes for Forrester Green but, cannot find any for black.
Is black simply black or are there shades of black?
Thanks, Peter


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Peter, I assume you've checked here.

What parts are you wishing to paint?

There's a miriad of shades of black out there.

Hopefully this link will help.

Last edited by jockbolter50; 06/11/2011 7:38 AM.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
That is just what I was looking for. Perfect. Thank you.
I did a "search" and it didn't turn up anything other than the Forums posts.
I am still learning my way around the site and didn't realize the Tech Tips was not part of a search.
Thanks again.
Peter


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Peter,

Did you look at the top thread in this forum? Paint factory colors

By the way, PPG did not have a modern code for "Jet Black" when I checked about 8 years ago. If you find a modern code, would you please post it here?

Also, was the Canadian name for black "Jet Black"? Or, was it just "Black" as shown in the 1954 Canadian Chevrolet Truck Data Book - I do not have an earlier Canadian Truck Data Book?


Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
9300 is the PPG code for jet black


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
I am confused.
The chart for the Paint factory colours list Jet Black as PPG 9100 but, you say that is not a modern number. 674 fleetside says 9300 is the PPG code which I presume is a modern code.

Does that mean the codes for my Forrester Green listed in the charts are not modern codes. I guess I will find out when I go to the paint shop but, it would be nice to forewarned.
Any help?
Thanks
Peter



1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Peter,

I think I found that 9100 in an article written by Bob Adler (the expert on 47-55 Chevrolet trucks). I'll see if I can find the reference.

9000, 9100, 9200, and 9300 are all PPG codes for a black. 9300 is Jet Black (the DUPONT code is 93-005). As I recall, PPG did not have a modern formula but that might have changed. At the bottom of the link I gave above is information on how to contact the PPG historical color library. Ask them if they have Jet Black for 1951 Chevrolet Truck.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
9000,9100 all are same formula as 9300-back before about the 1970s, all black was just black-all brands, all were same formula-fleet, passenger,etc.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0