The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lightholder's Dad, 55shaker, 46 Texaco, J Lucas), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,327
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 90
I had my engine block tapped for a full flow oil filter and used the 261 filter that mounts to the exhaust manifold but when I went to install the motor in my half ton Advandced Design pickup there was not enough clearance from the steering column to leave it there.
Does anyone have experience with the more modern spin on type filters and if so where did you mount them?

Thank you

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 112
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 112
do a search for remote oil filter......lots of pics.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I just installed a rebuilt 235 drilled for full-flow filtration, in my 54 pickup. Did quite a bit of R & D on mount locations and running the oil lines away from the exhaust pipes. Have some pictures in my "Tips and Tricks" album. Can't speak to using a "261" filter mount....I used a recommended 3/4 X 16 thread remote mount that took a FoMoCo filter with built-in bypass. I've seen several block mounted units with solid lines but went with AN-8 lines and hose. Have the lines routed in such a way that I don't have to worry about excessive heat or fatigue at the fittings. BTW....it'll run you close to $100.00 for the fittings and hose. Hope this helps.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I’ve experimented with a few stovebolt filter mounts and this is the easiest thing I’ve come up with so far. If you make something like this out of some 5/8” keystock and a scrap of heavy angle iron you can mount it to the oilpan and use any spin on you want with hard lines like this. Here’s another using GM’s most common filter in a bypass application but would work for full flow with bigger lines. Good luck.

Curt B.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
I.B.Hoggin,

Your "experiments" are works of art..beautiful!


Stuart

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
Truck;
I used a NAPA remote filter kit with their spin-on and mounted it to the side of my block behind the alternator bracket. Easily accessed from under the truck to remove. Some shots in my "Engine Rebuild" album on webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 92
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 92
I have a 261 with the original canister oil filter in a 50 3100. It is mounted on the front half of the intake manifold and I do not have a clearance issue. I think in the big trucks where this engine was originally from, the canister hung on the back half of the manifold and would be a clearance problem.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 Deluxe Cab
Gallery Page
Webshots photos
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
On a 1960 261 installed in a '54 1/2 ton, I placed the original large (full flow) canister on the forward side of the intake manifold. New 1/2 NPT hoses had to be made. No problems in three years of daily use.

For no particular reason, I changed to a remote spin-on full-flow filter mounted on the firewall (needed longer hoses for this location). No problems in over eight years of infrequent use.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 90
49 geezer, I couldn't find your pics, I think my browser has compatibility issues but I'll look again.
I will try the front of the intake location.
I have to wait for my exhaust before I can try that.
tclederman or Nifty 50 2 are either of you running dual exhaust.
It looks like it would fit but I don't want to have to do a third set of lines.
Thnks all
It was a good fit on the engine stand

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
I don't mean to steal the thread, but after install the new filter set up where do you hook up the oil gauge? Mine is attached right at the canister, did ya'll fabricate something else?


58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Mine tapped back in at the existing 1/8NPT stock location...just slightly to the rear and below the accelerator bellcrank mount point near where the return line feeds the main oil gallery.

The front 1/8NPT port, where the original bypass filter line entered is now plugged. I was a bit concerned about line bleed-back but have instant pressure once I hit the starter.

Just noticed on your pictures that you are running a bypass filter....not a full pressure filter system. On my original bypass system, I
used a "T" fitting with the bypass filter line and oil pressure line hooked up at the block. The bypass filter only filters a limited amount of oil and I discovered, bleeds off about 5-7 psi from the engine. When I added my dual carbs, I blocked off the front 1/8NPT port and the 1/8NPT port in the "T" fitting and noted the increase in oil pressure. I don't know if having your gauge up at the filter would give you the most accurate reading. I don't think this mount location would have any effect on the actual oil pressure, just might effect your gauge reading. You might toss this out for someone who has more experience with this engine.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
Truck;
Look at the engine rebuild album. Page 5 shows the way I originally did it with rubber hoses that came with the kit. Page 11 shows where I thought better of using the rubber hoses and used stainless steel pipe instead. The rubber hoses came just a tad too close to my dual exhaust downpipes for my comfort level.


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0