The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, klhansen, John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
Hi all. Been trying to get my truck to run better, tuning it etc. I have noticed that the linkage is jamming up against the intake causing the idle to remain to high. I was just wondering if any one has photos of the their dual carb linkage from the pedal all the way to the carbs, or even links where I can buy a new linkage. No sure if my linkage was homemade or aftermarket. Was on the engine when I purchased it 17 years ago.


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I couldn't find a pic on your web site of your engine to see what your linkage looks like. Here is a link to see a pre packaged Offy set.

www.stoveboltengineco.com


Drew
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
I will take a pic of mine tonight. I was able to adjust everything so it no longer rubs yesterday, however the front carb seems to be the source of my idle problems. It would appear that the return spring is not strong enough, to return the throttle fully. Its like 1/8 or less of a inch off.


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I have some decent photos listed on my Picturetrail site below.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

TXChevy50,

It looks like you have dual 1-barrel (original style) Rochesters.

Dave's linkage looks like the set that Tom Langdon sells for Carter-Weber (and maybe Holley-Weber). Here is a single carb linkage but he also sells a dual carb linkage: C-W & H-W linkage

However, Tom Langdon also sells the Rochester set also (a set sold by several vendors): Rochester linkage

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I uploaded some pics of my setup. Click my link to see them. Does it make sense that the return spring on the front carb is not strong enough to reset it all the way everytime? Its intermittent, but when it is idling to high, that carb is usually about 1/8" off from fully closed.


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
That stock Offy linkage makes it a pain I think to equalize the carbs. In my experience it is too sloopy, especially when you have two different style carbs where the accelerator arms don't line up exactly. Plus the bolt connections slip. I would spend some time adjusting the linkage and maybe use a system like has been shown in the posts to you. The other issue I see is that the return spring for your accelerator arm is supposed to attach to a clip mounted on an oil pan blot. That gives it vertical action. Maybe that spring is weak too. Just my 2 cents.


Drew
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
Drew,

I noticed that as well. I thought it didn't look right, but the part the upward arm attaches too/rotates, is different than the stock one on my old engine. This came out of a 1955 BelAir. The Pedal link to this is not right either. Been thinking about just going back to a 1 carb setup, like a Webber 2 barrel on that site above. I just need a whole linkage replacement from the pedal to carbs and the old manifold I have is supper rusted up inside and out from sitting in the weather for the last 1 years.


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

TXChevy50,

If you are going for a single 2-barrel "Weber" carb from Langdon's, the Holley-Weber might be OK but the Carter-Weber would be too small.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by tclederman
TXChevy50,

If you are going for a single 2-barrel "Weber" carb from Langdon's, the Holley-Weber might be OK but the Carter-Weber would be too small.


I know I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I want something simple and easy to work on. I am just not sure if its old springs, or a bad linkage design, or just going to a two barrel carb. I drive this truck alot, and need it dependable.


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
I decided to move on to something better. After talking with Tom Langdon(http://stoveboltengineco.com/), he suggested I upgrade to the Carter/Webber 2bl carbs & upgrade to a HEI ignition. So parts are ordered. Should be here in a few days. Hope that this will get my truck to a solid running/driving state.


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Once, and if, you get them synchronized I think you'll be happy with them. I wouldn't do it again but they do look cool and work pretty well albeit hardly perfect. If there is a next time it will be a single 2bbl or small Holley 4bbl.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
Yeah, I was pretty set on going to a single carb, but langston basically said that since I already had the dual intake, purchasing the dual carbs with his linkage system, the synchronizing shouldn't be a issue. Will see soon. smile


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Tom is suppose to say that, ...lol

by the way, nice truck


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
Haha yeah, I know there was some sales tactics there, but I didn't want to mess with breaking manifold bolts either, since this offy has been on here for 16 years..

so hoping it all goes well, will know soonq


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0