The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gdads51, 1 invisible), 118 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,124
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
I recently purchased good used rear springs on my 54 truck. It has a 70 Camaro rear. Never replaced any in all autos I've ever owned.
Can I just take off old ones and slip in the newer ones?
Does the grease fitting come out easy?
The fittings look decent, should I replace them.
So many questions, so little time. Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 55
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 55
Assuming you purchased Camaro springs it should be easy. Support the rear end with a floor jack, take off the U bolts and then undo each end of each spring. That's how I would approach it and what I did when I changed springs in my pickup with the 58 rear end. Springs are heavier than you think so be careful as you release each end.

Otherwise It's pretty much like you envision, take the old ones off and slip in the newer ones. Be sure to use new U bolts with deep nuts. Do not re-use your old U-bolts or nuts. Their threads have been distorted if they were put on correctly as they are clamped pretty tight when assembling. Find a torque specification for U bolts and tighten to that. Try Googling something like 'leaf spring u bolt torque'to get the torque value.

I'm not familiar with the 70 Camaro spring hangers but if they are like most setups the zirc (gease fitting) just turns out with a wrench. Get new zircs too. They're inexpensive. If you have bronze bushings in any of the spring hangers or the eye bolt check that for wear and maybe replace it too. Basically anywhere there is movement (friction) you should check for wear.
If there is old, hard grease inside clean it all out. Be sure to grease the replacement springs wherever there is a zirc before you finish the job.

If you have time and a few extra bucks you might consider putting a thin nylon shim between each spring leaf. The shims are slightly narrower but about as long as the leaf and greatly ease friction. I'm told ride is improved considerably. You might be able to do that without taking the spring keepers off but if the keepers need to come off I'd take it to a spring shop and have them do it. Spring shop can probably tell you where to get these.

Jerry

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
What kind of springs are you removing?


~Jim
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
After changing these big ol 14 leaf springs I'd welcome a set of Camaro's! Be careful. They are DEAD WEIGHT. If you are under there and they decide to slide, you may not be able to control them and they could land on your head or mash your hand. Otherwise, very low tech and straightforward r&r. Definately what Jerry said about friction pads of some kind. At the very least, they take out one source of squeeks and probably make for a smoother ride.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0