| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 | Hi List,
I Have been tracking down a set of wheels for my 55 first series and I was going with 16 inch because that was standard. Most of the wheels I find however are 15 inch (which was an option). I was wondering which is the better way to go, 15 or 16, any thoughts?
1955 First Series 3100
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 60 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 60 | Using 16 inch wheels you have the andvantage of having 1 inch larger diameter for the same tyre width.That will increase (in comparison) your cruise speed with the same egine revolutions. Jianis | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | mendonjo
The original 1954/55 optional 15" wheels/tires were a slightly larger diameter (loaded rolling diameter) than the original standard 16" wheels/tires.
Where are you finding the optional 15" wheels? Have you checked the diameter of tires available for those 15" wheels compared to the diameter of tires available for the 6.50x16" wheels?
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 | Tim,
I would not have expected it but you are right on the money...the tires available for 15 inch rims have a bigger overall diameter than the 16 inch offerings. Tires for the 16 inch are cheaper too.
I referenced Coker tire's website. They are near me (in fact I was there yesterday and went through their museum)so that's probably where I will get the tires.
So...to answer my own question. 16 inch tires are cheaper and have more widths available, so that's what I will go with.
Joe
P.S. When I bought my engine, the guy had (7) 15 inch wheels setting there. I called on a parts truck in Knoxville last week and yep, 15 inch wheels, craigslist...15 again. It just seems like I run into the 15 inchers more readily.
1955 First Series 3100
| | |
| |
| |