| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | I haven't started the jeep in about 2 months. Prior to that, I'd only been around the block a couple of times.
Today I decided to fire it up. I couldn't see coolant in the filler, so I poured in about half a gallon and it filled to the top. When I started the engine, coolant came pouring out the overflow tube. I got a bucket under it to catch it. When it stopped flowing, I took off the cap and there was no visible coolant in the radiator. I looked at the temp gauge, and it showed hot, so I shut down the engine.
What do you think. Thermostat? Blockage somewhere?
Tips and comments, please.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 283 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 283 | Loosen the fan belt so the pump can't turn--remove the thermostat housing and thermostat--pour the engine full as possible. Time out for a word of prayer.These old engines were tough but prone to cracking both the head and the block. Start her up and if all is well the water will be still but if it erupts like a fountain when you goose it--the head has to be removed.Then the truth will be known. One word of caution--if the head must come off, there is a bolt hidden under the carburetor---take the carb off for access or the head will come off with great difficulty and in several peices.
Good luck
Bob Taylor
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | Thanks, Bob. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | F heads as well as L heads have weird shaped fire rings on the head gasket and can be a source of combustion into coolant leaks. | | |
| |
| |